Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 best lenses for lifestyle, nature, and portraits

Natalialm
Apprentice

Hello!

I have Canon EOS R7 

And I would like to buy a great lens that can serve for few things…

like family/people lifestyle, nature and also portraits… I know each lens is good for determined reasons but there’s any that is overall good for it all?

iam between 

• EF 85mm f/1.8 USM 
  • and 
  • Canon 24-70mm f4 L

i already have 

• 18-55mm
  • 50mm 1:1.8

please give me your opinion!

thank you in advance 

3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Natali and welcome to the forum:
You have a pretty wide range of applications here: "family/people, lifestyle, nature and also portraits"
Are you wanting to stick to RF lenses for new acquisitions?  It would be best to do so unless you are using DSLRs as well and want to switch between the two platforms.  I will assume for the moment that we go with RF glass.
You don't give us any idea of budget, which is a basic constraint.  The RF 24-70mm f/2.8 L IS USM is not a cheap lens ( budget again), but much of its range is being covered by the lenses you have.
However, as far as focal ranges go:
Since Canon don't make an RF 18-55mm, I assume that it is an EF lens being used with the EF-RF adapter.
That, and the EF 50 should do you well for family/people, and portraits on a crop-sensor camera like the R7.

The challenging one is the 'nature' - what does that include? Because it can be scenery, which usually tends towards the wider angle range, but could also be wildlife that is at the other end of the focal range.

For scenic: I would suggest something in the wider range, which will also work for shooting events in more constrained spaces: RF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM - that will complement your 18-55 nicely and, not being an L lens, will be more economical.
For wildlife: again there are many types of wildlife depending on if it is large and near or small and far
Either
RF-S 55-210mm F5-7.1 IS STM - which, combined with the others would potentially give you are continuous range of 10-210mm in three lenses, or
RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM - which would be good for very far off subjects.

For an all-in-one solution, I would recommend the RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS USM which has some overlap with your existing optic at the short end, but it's a lens you could do almost everything with and it's a beautiful optic.  If you want a second lens to cover very wide angle, then stick with the 10-18mm lens above.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"like family/people lifestyle, nature and also portraits… "

"i already have 

• 18-55mm
  • 50mm 1:1.8"

You already have what you need. If you feel the need to buy a new lens and I support that, get the rf 24-105mm. Since you have an R7 it only makes since to go for RF lenses. A lens like the 10-18mm will not make you a better landscape photographer it merely fills the FL gap. And yes that makes it nice but certainly not necessary. You see there are many reasons to buy new lenses. One being that you need it to get the job done and two you want a new lens. From what you stated in your short requirement above you have what you need so do you want a new lens? Yes, well go for it and check out the rf 24-405mm

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"like family/people lifestyle, nature and also portraits… "

What does "nature" mean? Is it grizzly bears or blue birds? As a general rule I have come to realize that for either one of these far apart subjects, a 400mm lens is the shortest FL necessary. Perhaps longer if it is grizzly bears!

On the other hand if nature is sunflowers and pine trees, you have what you need. But the RF 24-105mm would  be great on your R7.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements