cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens question

kharypayt37
Apprentice

I currently have a t6i body with a 55-250mm lens. I mainly take sports pictures/videos (American football), and I am wondering which lens I should upgrade to. I am looking for an investment piece that will suit me down the line should i upgrade my camera. From research the past few days, i have focused on the 70-200mm f/4 IS II. This has been the clear-cut favorite (according to the sources ive looked at). However, i am not sure if i should opt for a lens like the 300mm as my current lens can deal with those closer shots.

i appreciate any advice!

26 REPLIES 26

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"If someone is specifically looking for a standard lens (in terms of field of view), they do need to look at focal length and understand that a 50mm is standard FOV on full frame, but short telephoto on APS-C."

Ricky this is where it goes south. Unless you are comparing and 'thinking' in FF camera theory and terms the crop factor is meaningless. Not how does it work on somebodies FF camera that you may never own. Why?  Because you probably purchased the 17-55mm kit lens. If you are a crop camera photographer you probably notice at 35mm my lens gives me a normal perspective.  You don't think what the heck is this kit lens FL on a FF camera.  

You see there is a "crop factor" in reverse for the medium format guys.  However, they never seem to see the need to use it. The 645 medium format has a "crop factor", it is .62 but I bet you hardly ever heard of it or ever see people use it. That's because they don't relate back to 35mm film or FF format. Crop factor was a term created by the old 35mm film people that had to get used to the, then new, smaller digital sensors being made. It was and has been a confusing term ever since.

BTW, your iphone has a crop factor!  Do you know what it is?

2D3A0C67-D877-473B-A0FA-73F61F8F0BDD.jpeg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I did not say it didn't exist. This is, again, an attempt, likely from the advertising department, to get 35mm FF people into a different sensor size camera. It, in no way justifies it.

If you ever worked for a large professional company that used every conceivable photographic gear there is, you would more likely see the meaningless of crop factor.  Never did the 8x10 guys, or medium guys, ask or think, what lens in 35mm film format do I need to get xxx results.

If the old guys stopped using it, it would go away but they don't.  They keep it going, not new folks.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I must say some of you sure spend a lot of time on, and searching the ole inner web! Smiley Happy

EB

The actual origins of "Crop Factor" come from the APS FILM cameras introduced in 1996. 

Canon literature never really mentioned "Crop Factor". The camera sales people used "Crop Factor" a lot while trying to explain how the EF lenses used on the APS Film cameras are going to look "different" than what we were used to. 

Here is a page from the EOS IX manual where I have added the image size and crop factor:
IMG_7589xx.jpg
Mike Sowsun

@ebiggs1 wrote:

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I must say some of you sure spend a lot of time on, and searching the ole inner web! Smiley Happy

Not really. It was a topic at a recent training session at our camera club and I borrowed the slide.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I have used an APS-C (Rebel T4i) prior to the FF cameras.  One exercize I did prior to the move was to see what was the equivalent field of view.  Vast majority of images were at 56 mm because I was mostly at 35mm on the 18-135 kit lens.   This led me to pick up a single 50mm lens with the FF gear.

I also know the crop factor on my iPhone 12 Pro, video gear, etc.  And have also read articles regarding the "reverse" crop factor when speaking to medium format.

I stand by my statement above.  IMO, it's still useful information to know.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

@shadowsports wrote:

I believe his intention is to improve the quality of his glass.  now and in the future.  He indicated he was conidering the 70-200, but then stated that a 300mm lens was also in contention, recognozing that his 55-250 would already be covering this focal length.  

I was merely pointing out that using an EF lens with his body will yield the following FL, not what range on the lens shows.  What going to change is the FOV and amount of light an EF lens will let in.  The image circle is going to be smaller on the crop body regardless of the lens being used.  I'm aware of this.  Maybe I didn't express this correctly.     

Did you not say that crop factor applies to EF lenses, but crop factor does not apply to EF-S lenses? 

Mike Sowsun

@shadowsports wrote:

Greetings,

One important detail.

The 70~200 f4 is a EF lens

Your T6i is APS-C and is designed primary for EF-S lenses.  You can however use EF lenses with it, but note that the effective focal length will be 112~320mm (not) 70~200.  

You make it sound like the crop factor does not apply to his EF-S 55-250 lens. You should also point out that his current EF-S 55-250 has an effective focal length of 88-400mm (not) 55~250. 

Mike Sowsun

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Yeah pointing out it is an EF vs EF-S is, well, pointless!
However I am not sure I would do it unless you think the slightly better f4 aperture will help you.
EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
I had and used two Rebels with that lens, EF 70-200mm f4 L, for years and it worked very well for me. Keep in mind to gain the better f4 aperture you will give up 55mm of FL. For daylight football I am not sure that is a good trade perhaps for night time it would be.
EB
Announcements