cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens Trouble Canon 24-105 L I

SusannaP
Apprentice

Hi, guys. I'm having some odd trouble with my Canon 24-105 L Lens. I've been getting more "slightly out of focus" images than normal, and I'm an experienced shooter. I've been blaming it on myself, but am beginning to wonder if it's more. On Saturday, I noticed my view through the lens suddenly "went dark" several times and then, popped out of it. I don't know how to describe it other than that. A few minutes later, I started getting an error message about the connections between the lens and camera, which went away if I removed and replaced the lens. Then, suddenly, it was fine again. Any ideas what might be wrong before I have to send this in? I'm right in the middle of my busy wedding season. 

15 REPLIES 15

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You need to determine whether or not any problem lies wiht the camera, or the lens.

What camera are you using?  Have you tried the lens on a different camera?  Have you tried a different lens with the camera?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks. I was shooting with a 5D Mark III. I switched to my 24-70 when I started having troubles and the problem went away. I guess I need to play with it a bit more. I just wondered if those were common "symptoms" that anyone would recognize. 

@SusannaP wrote:

Thanks. I was shooting with a 5D Mark III. I switched to my 24-70 when I started having troubles and the problem went away. I guess I need to play with it a bit more. I just wondered if those were common "symptoms" that anyone would recognize. 

Most of us in this forum have the 24-105, and I think we've found it to be very reliable. But things can go wrong. For example, the constantly moving parts could have worn out the insulation on a wire, causing a short circuit. The "going dark" could be caused by the lens losing the ability to remain at full aperture during zooming and focusing. (Though I don't think that could explain all your symptoms.) Since your equipment is mission-critical to your work, I'd think you'd have to send it in. Are you a CPS member? I am, and I get great service from Canon's New Jersey shop - though it's obviously possible that I would anyway. Since you have the 24-70 (and presumably also the 70-200, since most wedding photographers do), you should be OK while your 24-105 is away.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@SusannaP wrote:

No, I have never had those experiences, although my 24-105 hasn't a lot of use, 5000 shots(?).  The fact that it is intermittent, suggests an electro-mechanical failing of some kind.  Overheating meets that description.  Digital electronics tend to completely fail all at once.  I'd follow Bob's suggestion, and get the lens checked out, if at all possible.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ScottyP
Authority

Turn the camera on and in AV or M mode stop the lens down to an f/stop higher than f/4. Press the depth of field preview button a few times and see if the aperture blades are closing down and opening back up smoothly. 

But yeah, if it is also failing to autofocus intermittantly your lens' electronics may be failing. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Maybe this is related?

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00aHBI

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Maybe this is related?

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00aHBI

Hmmm... Checking my wish list, I see that the 24-70mm f/2.8L II is already at the top, so I guess there's not much more that I can do.  Smiley Indifferent

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

SusannaP
Apprentice

Hi, thanks all for the replies.

It may have got over heated. I guess it's worth considering. It was a very hot day. I need to take time to go through these replies and play with the lens some more so I know what to tell Canon. I do have the 70-200 and 24-70 so it's not the end of the world sending it in; it's just a bit of a pain. 

I really appreciate all the help.

Maybe if the rumors are correct they will announce the 24-105 Mk.2 next month along with the 5d4 and the timing works for you.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements