cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens Sizes / Uses / Meanings

Caroline_7
Apprentice

I currently have the EF-S 18-55mm and EF 75-300mm lens for my Canon Rebel T3i. I was graciously gifted a 40mm lens for Christmas with the option to exchange it for another lens. One would want to think that the 40mm is covered within the 18-55mm lens but I am completely unsure how this works so any assistance with suggestions, size meanings and/or what these are greatly used for would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Skirball
Authority

@Caroline_7 wrote:

I currently have the EF-S 18-55mm and EF 75-300mm lens for my Canon Rebel T3i. I was graciously gifted a 40mm lens for Christmas with the option to exchange it for another lens. One would want to think that the 40mm is covered within the 18-55mm lens but I am completely unsure how this works so any assistance with suggestions, size meanings and/or what these are greatly used for would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Yes, the 18-55mm lens can capture the same field of view as the 40mm lens.  The difference is that the 40mm can do so at a wider aperture (allows more light in, and allows a smaller depth of field for that 'blurry background' look).  It will also produce sharper images than the 18-55.  How much sharper depends on how you use it.

Prime lenses (no zoom) aren't for everybody.  You have to use your feet instead of zooming in and out.  Also, they (usually) don't have image stabilization,which your 18-55 has.  The tradeoff is that they can produce extremely sharp images, and allow you to shoot in dim light situations. 

I happen to love them, so perhaps I'm not the best person to comment.  But one of the main benefits of prime lenses is a really wide aperture.  The 40mm "pancake" lens actually isn't all that wide at f/2.8.  It's better than your zoom, but not as wide as something like the 50mm 1.8 "nifty fifty".  The main benefit of the pancake lens is just that, it's extrememly thin, for people who want a small lens.  Personally I would recommend the 50mm lens over the 40mm, since it has a wider aperture.  But I've never used the 40mm - there are a lot of people who like it.

Either way, I do recommend trying a prime lens.  As I said, they're not for everyone.  But you won't know until you try.  And what better way to try than from a gift.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" One would want to think that the 40mm is covered within the 18-55mm lens ..."

And it is.  Smiley Very Happy  All the rest of this is nonsense and meaningless.  They are just numbers to help label something.

The difference lies in the fact one is a zoom and the other is a prime.  And than only because the f ratio is different.  Again a number to tell you how much light will be transmitted to your camera.  All you need to remember is, the smaller f number, the more light it passes.  You can use it in a more dimly lighted area and still get a good picture.  When you are in a bright place you will use a larger f number.

If you tend to use the "green square" or the "P" mode mostly, of your camera, you truly can forget the rest!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" One would want to think that the 40mm is covered within the 18-55mm lens ..."

And it is.  Smiley Very Happy  All the rest of this is nonsense and meaningless.  They are just numbers to help label something.

The difference lies in the fact one is a zoom and the other is a prime.  And than only because the f ratio is different.  Again a number to tell you how much light will be transmitted to your camera.  All you need to remember is, the smaller f number, the more light it passes.  You can use it in a more dimly lighted area and still get a good picture.  When you are in a bright place you will use a larger f number.

If you tend to use the "green square" or the "P" mode mostly, of your camera, you truly can forget the rest!

We don't usually dumb it down quite that much in this forum. The insinuation that Caroline won't understand the real explanations that are being attempted may be presumptuous.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

And now she has both sides.   She can either take Tim's excellent explanation or she can take mine.  We strive to give people choices, don't we?  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Caroline_7
Apprentice
Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread!
Announcements