cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Irix 15mm incompatibility with Eos R6 Mark 2

Iphosia
Contributor

Hello,

I just would like to report the total incompatibility between Irix 15mm and the new R6 mark 2. I hope for a firmware update on Canon side but if ever somebody has a temporary fix, that would be great.

In the end we would just need to be able to set up the aperture at 8 or 11 and that would be it... Maybe with a small trick on the connectors ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

To the Moderators. This thread should be marked solved. The OP was advised to contact the lens manufacturer for a firmware update. OP did and problem was solved. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Iphosia wrote:

Hello,

I just would like to report the total incompatibility between Irix 15mm and the new R6 mark 2. I hope for a firmware update on Canon side but if ever somebody has a temporary fix, that would be great.

In the end we would just need to be able to set up the aperture at 8 or 11 and that would be it... Maybe with a small trick on the connectors ??

I’m sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your camera gear.  Have you tried to contact the manufacturer, Irix.

In order to better understand your issue, we would need to know the full and complete model number of the lens that you are using.  Help someone to help you.  Tell us exactly what the issues are and how to reproduce them.  If your Irix lens has an EF mount, tells what brand of EF-RF mount adapter you are using.

Many forum members have reported incompatibility issues between Canon gear and gear made by a third party manufacturer.  The Irix brand has been reported numerous times.  

One unpopular fact for people in your position is that Canon is not responsible for supporting gear designed and manufactured by third parties.  Have you tried to contact Irix about your issues?

It was quite some time ago, perhaps two years, that Canon enforced the copyrights on the intellectual property colloquially known as the “RF mount.”  Canon issued a cease and desist order to third party manufacturers that were producing and selling gear that was not fully compatible with the RF mount.  

This order specifically included lenses and mount adapters.  You need to know that Irix was among the companies targeted by that order.  All Irix gear designed for the RF mount should have been pulled off shelves a long time ago, perhaps two years or more.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Irix 15mm 2,4 firefly from 7years ago. EF mount, not RF.

I am really disappointed to face that situation with a lens that has no equivalent in canon range and that is so basic (not even AF).

since it is compatible with the r6… I dare believe this is a mistake.

@Iphosia wrote:

Irix 15mm 2,4 firefly from 7years ago. EF mount, not RF.

I am really disappointed to face that situation with a lens that has no equivalent in canon range and that is so basic (not even AF).

since it is compatible with the r6… I dare believe this is a mistake.

Do you own the R6, too?  It works just fine with your R6?  You have failed to state what the exact issue or problem you are experiencing. 

Most other lens brands made for the EF mount do not experience any issues when used with a Canon adopter on an RF body.  My Sigma lenses work just fine on my. R6 Mark II.  

You have a lens problem, whatever that problem might be.  Again.  Have you tried to contact Irix about your issues?  Have they released a firmware update?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I hope for a firmware update on Canon side ..."

That's not gonna happen.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Well, if that doesn’t happen, my buying a next canon camera neither. No use to stay faithful to the brand if they behave like this.

It's not Canon's responsibility to make Irix lenses work -- it's Irix's.  If the firmware isn't compatible, it's because the Irix lens doesn't implement the EF communication protocol correctly.  You should be pestering Irix for a firmware fix, not Canon.

Change camera brands if you like, but there's no reason the same issue wouldn't apply to every other camera brand.  Third-party lens manufacturers are reverse-engineering the cameras' protocols, and if they screw it up, their lenses have issues. This is not the camera manufacturer's fault, regardless of what brand of camera you're using.

The brand deliberately changes a protocol and a mount to make you buy new lenses. You are ok with it. I am not. It is against all principle of sustainability and it is even against my understanding of cameras. I love using **bleep**ty lenses or non standard ones, to get different results. It is a pity that Canon just wants more money.

I did not experiment fanboy replies for a long time and I don't understand that you would accept that kind of attitude from a brand. Whatever the reason, this is not a fair attitude from the brand. And don't come to tell me about new protocols... Iris lenses are full manual, there is literally nothing to control besides aperture. And it was working on R6 which makes me think that it is a deliberate software modification. 

Besides it actually detect the lens for a fraction of a second when you plug it. 

@Iphosia wrote:

The brand deliberately changes a protocol and a mount to make you buy new lenses. You are ok with it. I am not. It is against all principle of sustainability and it is even against my understanding of cameras. I love using **bleep**ty lenses or non standard ones, to get different results. It is a pity that Canon just wants more money.

I did not experiment fanboy replies for a long time and I don't understand that you would accept that kind of attitude from a brand. Whatever the reason, this is not a fair attitude from the brand. And don't come to tell me about new protocols... Iris lenses are full manual, there is literally nothing to control besides aperture. And it was working on R6 which makes me think that it is a deliberate software modification. 

Besides it actually detect the lens for a fraction of a second when you plug it. 

As I posted earlier:

Irix has already reported that  their lenses are not compatible with the R3, R7 and R10, so it is likely they just haven't updated their list for the latest R body.

You didn’t do your homework. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I understand that you're angry and frustrated. But if you want to understand what's going on, then you need to ditch the emotion and think logically about what's happening. Also, it would be a good idea to listen to the people who are only trying to help you. Flinging insults around isn't constructive.

You keep framing tis in terms of Canon, and making accusations like "The brand deliberately changes a protocol and a mount to make you buy new lenses". If you think about this, and look at what's happening in photography generally, you must realise that this simply isn't true. All the camera manufacturers have changed their lens mounts:

• Nikon from F to Z
  • Sony from Alpha to E/FE
  • The Four Thirds group to Micro Four Thirds
  • etc.

And all for the same reason -- we don't need mirrors any more, so we can have more compact and efficient cacmeras. But that needs a new lens mount. This isn't fanboyism, it's just fact.

You state that "Iris lenses are full manual, there is literally nothing to control besides aperture" -- it sounds like you don't understand how your lens works, because this is self-contradictory. If the lens was fully manual, then the camera wouldn't be controlling the aperture.

Fully manual lenses have an aperture ring mechanically geared to the iris blades. With such a lens there is literally nothing the camera can do to stop the aperture working. I have a Lowa lens on my RF cameras that works like this. But the Irix lens is electronic -- on their web site, I can see the electronic contacts on the back of the lens -- and it looks like Irix have screwed up their implementation of the protocol. You should contact them about this.

You can change camera brands if you like -- I literally could not care less -- but if you expect this to change anything, prepare to be disappointed.

Announcements