cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much longer will EF be around?

chahath
Apprentice

I know photography is more than just gear, and a lens that was great 5 years ago didn't get worse just because newer better ones are out, but I fear that if I don't sell my EF lenses soon they'll become worthless when everyone and their dog have moved on to the RF mount. I don't shoot professionally and I'm not made of money, so I'd rather not have to write off all the money I spent on EF lenses if I can avoid some of the loss by selling them while they're still worth something.

91 REPLIES 91

This thread is about 31/2 years old, the last post is about 2 years old, so things have changed a lot since it was asked. 

That said, at the time of posting this, it is clear that Canon are putting their development resources into the RF mount and R bodies.  While they have stated that they will continue to produce DSLR bodies and EF glass as long as there is a market, that is a different thing from investing in developing new bodies or lenses.

Of my rather large menagerie of gear, the vast majority is still in the form of EOS, which I still enjoy shooting with, but I am prepared to engage with the new technology, some will not and that is fine too...

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"As long as there are EF and EF-S cameras being made there will be EF lenses. As long as there are EF and EF-S cameras being made there will be EF lenses."

My friend, the last EF and EF-S lens has already been made.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements