cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How good is "good enough" in AF micro adjustment? 24-105 L F4 & EOS 6D MkII

Skip70
Enthusiast

I'm calibrating my lenses (for the first time) on my 6D MII and am encountering an issue that I did not expect.

The 24-105 L F4 keeps showing a near or close focus point, even when I have the calibration dialed out to +15. Yes, I know I could go to +20 but I was surprised it would take that much. Can a lens be that far off?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Skip70
Enthusiast

I appreciate many of he responses. I learned a lot, always do from the folks here. 

I tried all three "systems" - the tent card, shooting at an angle to a lined target on a table top, and Dot-Tune. I liked the latter the most because of the challenge it presented to be so methodical and exacting. 

Net out: Hah, all of my Canon lenses (all Ls) were just about spot-on with an average within a point or two of zero. All three methods, when properly and carful executed, came to essentially the same result. 

Now, back to my job in getting great focus!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"There is nothing “odd” about it.  Most consumer lenses have AF motors with too much backlash.  The results are not very repeatable because the AF motors will cause focus to undershoot or overshoot the mark."

That is simply a reason it does not exonerate the Rebel/lens combo. The bottom line, and irony, is the ones that need it the most, for whatever "reason", can't do it. The ones that very rarely need it, have it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It would add to the cost of the camera. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"It would add to the cost of the camera."

Again a reason or excuse not confirmation it is not reality or needed there most.

EB

Somebody call the cops. This thread has been hijacked. 

Stephen_0-1702396579886.gif

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"This thread has been hijacked."

Not really it remains under the purview of how good is good enough using focus adjustment by two extremely experienced photographers. Decades of history. The thought of adding +15 and or considering +20 is not reasonable to any L series lens but perhaps such an adjustment may be reasonable for the lesser Canon gear.

You need to keep in mind this forum is for discussion and this is simply "good enough micro AF adjustment" discussion. If it no further interests don't read it.

EB
click here to view the gallery
Announcements