cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does autofocus work on EF-S 18-55mm 0.25/0.8ft

gordonmorgans
Apprentice

Can the autofocus track and focus automatically? Or do I have to hold down the shutter button?

I make videos filming myself so I would prefer if it simply focused without me having to touch it. The reason I ask is because I ordered a new lens(the same kind) and the autofocus doesn't work either. It could be the lens because the focus ring feels loose but I wanted to make sure, because unless I'm crazy, the autofocus would work without having to press the shutter button. I wanted to make sure before I try ordering another one.

5 REPLIES 5

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi Gordon and welcome to the forum:

First, you need to tell the camera model you are using.  No lens will autofocus unless something in the camera tells it to and defines what it is to focus on - that is done with the focus settings in the camera body and the controls with which you interface that system.  In some camera models there is a feature called Continuous Autofocus, where the camera will tell the lens to focal all the time, but this is not a universal feature.

There are several models of this kit lens, and you need to be careful of how you use manual focus with all but the STM version, if you attempt to manually focus on the other models with the AF ON-OFF switch set to ON, you will disrupt the focusing mechanism and that will cause the lens to malfunction.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

It is a DSLR EOS Rebel T7

Thank you for your response.
According to the manual for the T7, your camera does not support Continuous Focus, so the method you would use is to point the camera at your subject, half-press the shutter to get the camera to focus on it, and if the subject continues then you want to be a focus mode called SERVO, which will follow the subject as long as the focusing button is held down.

If you have not done so, I recommend downloading the T7 manual from this link: eos-rebelt7-1500d-im-en.pdf (c-wss.com)   Definitely, if you are getting a 18-55 lens for video, then you want the STM version.  You could also consider the EF-S 18-135 (either STM or USM versions).  The reason is that these focus silently, whereas other versions make a noise that will be captured on your microphones.

You might want to consider watching some of the following videos on the subject of the T7 for video:
(1) canon rebel t7 for video - YouTube

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Okay. Thank you!

If this resolves your issue, please mark it as an accepted solution, otherwise you will continue to get posts on this until you do!  If you need more information, you can return and inquire further.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements