cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tamron lens with small nick - Effect on focus?

Thomas68
Contributor

I have a Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DI-II VC AF lens that I'm using with my Canon T6s. The lens has a small nick off center. Would this have any effect on the focusing? It doesn't show up in any of the photos I've taken, but it sometimes struggles to focus.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

normadel
Authority
Authority

A nick on the front element of a lens will not show on viewfinders or in photos. It will have no effect on focus for the same reason. If the sensor doesn't see it (because it it way way to close to be focusable), it is, in effect,  invisible.

If lens is struggling to focus, that could be for a lot of reasons....insufficient light, insufficient contrast at the focus point, you're not keeping the focus point over what you want to focus on, you're too close to the subject, are the obvious ones.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Since autofocusing relies on contrast detection I would not expect the nick to the cause of any issues you have with the lens focusing. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Thanks that helps. I've always shot with Nikons. This is my 1st Canon dslr.

Thank you for accepting my answer! 

I do have to add that it would be the same for a Nikon. Optics and focusing aren't different for Canon and Nikon. You don't relearn photography when switching!

normadel
Authority
Authority

A nick on the front element of a lens will not show on viewfinders or in photos. It will have no effect on focus for the same reason. If the sensor doesn't see it (because it it way way to close to be focusable), it is, in effect,  invisible.

If lens is struggling to focus, that could be for a lot of reasons....insufficient light, insufficient contrast at the focus point, you're not keeping the focus point over what you want to focus on, you're too close to the subject, are the obvious ones.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Would this have any effect on the focusing?"

A better answer is 99.99% no, it will not effect focus but in reality there is always that chance.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
click here to view the gallery
Announcements