cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hate the RF100-500 Lens Collar

tangogal
Contributor

Does anyone else hate the lens collar on the RF100-500 lens? If it's somewhat loose, it frequently breaks open potentially spilling the lens to the ground. It is very hard to tighten enough so that it doesn't slip around when on a tripod. I have owned many of Canon's telephotos before I switched to the mirrorless system. I never had a problem with their lens collars. What genius in engineering came up with this awful lens collar design????

53 REPLIES 53

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

What was the outcome?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

tangogal
Contributor

The new one works much better but I still wish they would go back to the old design.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Appreciate the feedback.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

paulamsterdam
Contributor

I completely agree with Tangogal, it's a stupid design. You always have to check and doublecheck when you put it on. As a pro I don't always have time for that, and I want to concentrate on taking photo's, not on equipment.

WilliePr
Apprentice

I have the same issue, took my lens for a service last week, and requested a repair of the loose collar, got the lens back and the collar was loose again (unable to tighten enough for the lens not to turn in the collar). Contacted Canon telephonically and they replaced the collar with a new one. One outing later and the lens is slipping in the new collar, again unable to tighten the lens in the collar. I'm using the equipment to earn a living and can not afford for this to happen on location. Will contact Canon again in the morning and hear what they have to say.

I am sorry the replacement was just as bad. I had to purchase a replacement for about $200. So far it is holding but I worry every time I use it.

Canon replaced mine under warranty a few months ago. The replacement "broke" just the other day. No big deal: loosen the lock for a portrait view and tighten. Thereafter, the lens continues to move even when the lock is tightened.

hugebob
Contributor

My Canon replacement has failed and it happened right in the field. I'll be contacting Canon again for a replacement. Hopefully, with enough complaints, they'll consider a redesign. The ring on my RF 70-200 has been solid since I bought it some 3 years ago. It's not like they don't have something to work off of. Come on Canon. For you, this isn't rocket science. You have the tech and the know-how. Please fix this.

My collar was replaced after I had to send the whole lens and collar to Canon under warranty. They may as well have just sent the original collar back to me because I’m still having the same problem. The collar still isn’t tight on the lens despite the knob being tight. It was frustrating to take the lens out of the box, direct from the Canon repair center, check that the collar knob was tight, and then apply just a bit of rotational force to the collar and watch it easily slip.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is very difficult for me to understand. I just used my 70-200 and 100-500 for 12 days straight.  I took the lens collars off a few times for storage and cleaning.  Both operate on almost identical principles. A pin and cam locking mechanism.  I carried both of my lenses using the collars with plates installed as handles and hiked with them for miles.  I did get the 100-500 to rotate in tht collar about 5*, but only after putting significant force on it.  Force I would never typically put on the camera.  At some point I may order some replacement foam inserts, but that would probably be a few years from now.  Each morning before leaving the ship I would check the retention screw on my lens plates, the collar knobs and the eyelet on the bottom of my body for my black rapids wrist strap.  

When properly secured and tightened there's just no way for it to come loose or open.  I also use one or two points of retention when carrying my camera.  For this trip I used a lens plate as a handle and a wrist strap fastened to the bottom of my body.  Other days I used a black rapid sports breathe fastened to the bottom of the body with a secondary string tether to one of the strap mounts.

I probably sound like a broken record, but when you're holding $7,000 of gear in your hands, a wrist strap or any type of retention makes sense.

Collars are about $235, your lens thousands.I 've said this before too.  If the callar on your lens does not lock securely, send it and the lens to Canon for inspection.  Continuing to use a faulty collar is like handing your lens to a juggling circus performer.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements