cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full list of lenses

carolyn0219
Contributor

Why is there an organized lens lineup here: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup

and then a bigger list here: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/categorySiteMap.action?pageKeyCode=categorySiteMap&nodeCid=0901e024800...

???

I'm trying to buy my first non-kit lens and I don't even know what list I should be choosing from.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM . Smiley Sad

18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM  Smiley Indifferent

17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM  Smiley Happy

Of these three you listed the 17-55mm f2.8 is the only one I would consider.

Don't get hung up on the full frame camera thing. All cameras are full frame. You are going to get exactly what you see in the view finder. The crop factor of a Rebel only applies to the apparent focal length. Such as the 24-105mm, in this instance, is going to appear like a 38-168mm lens on a 5D Mk III for instance.

The f4 to f2.8 is just one stop and likely will not correct extremely poorly lite venues. It will help but if you are just one stop off from being able to get the proper exposure, Photoshop can fix that.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Are you saying that basically anything that isn't an L series is of "kit lens" lens quality

Not at all. There are some outstanding examples of non-L Canon lenses. But the ones you normally see packaged with Rebel series cameras are not in the same class as an “L”.

Someone pointed out that the 24-105 is meant for full frame cameras.  Are you sure that it would work as nicely with my T3i?

Not only will it work, it will work very well, indeed.

Do you find it to be exceptionally heavy?

Yes, it is heavier than your lens. I have carried lenses for more than 8 hours at a time and sometimes very much longer.

I never put one around my neck. I do use a Black Rapid and love it.

I don't undertand what they mean by a constant f ratio.

Your lens varies it's f-ratio as you zoom it. It eventually turns into a f5.6.

Also, even though the numbers look very different, they are actually very close together. For instance f4 down to f2.8 is just one stop. Your f3.5 is not even a full stop faster than f4. And f4 is a full stop faster that yours at f5.6.

Would it be a constant low depth of field?

No that is a function of aperture and focal length.

You said that the 24-105mm can be had for less than $700 brand new. 

Where would I find it at that price?

People that buy certain cameras get the 24-105 with there cameras, like a 5D Mk III, and don't want it for what ever reason. They sell them at a greatly reduced price. Plus most of the big New York camera stores have them as “white box” lenses. They are all brand new and come with a full Canon warranty.

"Again, thank you very much for all of your help"

It is my pleasure. Remember as you progress one lens is not going to do everything. In photography there is no free lunch. You give, to get. The 24-105mm f4 is only the start but a very good one to start with. But if you expect it to be the end all of lenses, you will be disappointed. Otherwise it is and it makes a very versatile lens.

EB

EB

One more thing to add re: the 24-105 f4L:

One of the products I'm working on is guitar strings, and I will likely need to go to live performances for my photos, and they may not be well lit.  Do you think this lens could handle it?  Some places are downright dark.  But I guess I wouldn't mind taking my cheap lens anyway into potentially a bar environment.

Some places are downright dark.  But I guess I wouldn't mind taking my cheap lens anyway into potentially a bar environment.

The 24-105mm f4 is going to best your lens in every way there is. However, downright dark, may need some artificial light thrown upon the subject. Like a E-TTL flash i.e. 580 EX II.

EB

carolyn0219
Contributor

You have all been so helpful!  I am so glad I found this forum.  I have narrowed it down greatly. 

It was pointed out that the 24-105 is designed for Full Frame cameras.  How could I have known that?  Is it stated somewhere, or is it just because it a full frame camera doesn't need to go lower than 24mm as much as mine would?  I don't want to make a mistake in the future and buy something wrong.

I've narrowed it down to several options with trade-offs, of course.  I don't want to get another lens just to have another lens.  I will need to evaluate whether it is worth the cost to have a better quality lens that doesn't have a choppy/slow autofocus and/or inability to shoot in low lighting like mine:

These both have decent ranges that would cover all of my bases.  However, I feel like it's hard to commit sight unseen.  The first is probably better optimized for the range, but the specs aren't that different from my kit lens.  The other has the better motor and a wider range, but that may mean that it is so broad that it is not optimized.

15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM .

18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM

17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - this is the only one with a 2.8 aperture (which would solve my lighting problem), but also overlaps in specs with my kit lens, and also gets a slightly lower review based on quality of build and apparently a dust issue that seems to be very frustrating and I would likely find intolerable.  To be honest, I leave my camera in the open in the house for easy access instead of putting it back in it's case, so if it attracts dust, that's going to be an issue for me.

And as you can see I am still talking with ebiggs1 about the EF 24-105 f1.4L IS USM.  It's an L series, and if I feel confident that it will fit my particular needs, I will most likely go for it.

Still welcoming input in the meantime if anyone else has not weighed in!

15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM . Smiley Sad

18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM  Smiley Indifferent

17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM  Smiley Happy

Of these three you listed the 17-55mm f2.8 is the only one I would consider.

Don't get hung up on the full frame camera thing. All cameras are full frame. You are going to get exactly what you see in the view finder. The crop factor of a Rebel only applies to the apparent focal length. Such as the 24-105mm, in this instance, is going to appear like a 38-168mm lens on a 5D Mk III for instance.

The f4 to f2.8 is just one stop and likely will not correct extremely poorly lite venues. It will help but if you are just one stop off from being able to get the proper exposure, Photoshop can fix that.

EB

Thank you again, so much.  You answered all of my questions and now I am ready to start looking online for the 24-105! I can get some practice in and be ready for spring!

I understand that it will not cover every possible situation, but it seems that it will give me the most options when I'm only able to carry one lens with me.  If you have any specific suggestions on where to buy from the most reputable dealer at the best price, let me know!  It would be nice if it came with a warentee, but I don't know if that's standard.

ebay

ebay 2

B&H

Amazon

Adorama

One thing to remember, if you buy one from B&H or Adorama you will get free shipping and possibly no sales tax. So that is worth something.

For "white box" lenses, you will just have to find one as it is not a regular stock item. There has to be someone wanting to sell theirs. Both Adorama and B&H have them from time to time. They are the two stores I do most of my business with and extremely reputable and reliable.

EB

"15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM . :smileysad:

18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM  :smileyindifferent:

17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM  :smileyhappy:"

from ebiggs is a great post.

I have the 18-135 as a kit lens on my 60D crop sensor camera. Very nice walk around lens for outdoor work but really very poor for low light situations like inside a church and such. I really splurged and got the 24-70 F/2.8 II and it was an incredible improvement for use in low light even though it was only one - two stop different aperature. Not trying to tell you to spend $2000+. As ebiggs says, the 17-55 f/2.8 should really be a nice low light lens as long as you don't need to zoom out much. I was shooting inside a church the other day and found the 70mm reach still not enough at times.

If you really need the low light abilities, I would personnaly be cautious of the 24-105 f/4L even though it is reportedly a great lens. F4 is not a very large opening for light and on the lower cost crop cameras like mine you will need higher ISO settings to get a picture and end up with a LOT of grain or noise and if there is any motion you will get many blurred shots in my experience. The f/2.8 lenses will surely have an advantage for that usage but price becomes a real issue.

Thank you for your input.  It is really helpful to get different points of view.  I bought and just received my 24-105.  I can't wait to go outdoors and try it out.  (Unfortunately it's February and I live in Pittsburgh).  I think at some point I may get a more specific lens with a better aperture for indoors, for Halloween costume party pics, when we go out for a friend's birthday but are indoors, etc.  When I do, I'll likely come back here for advice.

The quality of the build of the 24-105 is very obvious.  The motor is quiet and smooth, it's clearly sturdy, and the few pictures I have taken have been very sharp.  It's so nice looking that taking pictures of it may be the last thing I use my kit lens for!

Announcements