cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on lenses

shorty1
Contributor

I am planning on purchasing a Canon 80D with the 18-135mm IS USM lens. If I would like to take pictures of some sports (e.g. baseball), do I need the 55-250mm IS STM lens? I currently own a Canon 100-300mm F/4.5-5.6 ultrasonic lens, but it does not have image stabilization. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@shorty1 wrote:

I am planning on purchasing a Canon 80D with the 18-135mm IS USM lens. If I would like to take pictures of some sports (e.g. baseball), do I need the 55-250mm IS STM lens? I currently own a Canon 100-300mm F/4.5-5.6 ultrasonic lens, but it does not have image stabilization. 

The image quality of the EF-S 55-250 IS STM lens will be better, than that of your older EF 100-300 USM, but, I would certainly spend some time with the 100-300 before deciding on a lens purchase. This will help you identify where any short comings of your current lens are. Both lenses have the same f/5.6 aperture at the long end, so you might decide you want a larger maximum aperture like f/2.8. What is the focal length of most of your shots, is it 300mm, or would a 70-200mm lens work for your shooting style. Since you have a lens that will work, there is no rush to buy a new one. Image stabilization will help the focus system when shooting at high fps, but, isn't really needed for a sharp photo itself since you should be using a high enough shutter speed.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@shorty1 wrote:

The image quality of the EF-S 55-250 IS STM lens will be better, than that of your older EF 100-300 USM, but, I would certainly spend some time with the 100-300 before deciding on a lens purchase. This will help you identify where any short comings of your current lens are. Both lenses have the same f/5.6 aperture at the long end, so you might decide you want a larger maximum aperture like f/2.8. What is the focal length of most of your shots, is it 300mm, or would a 70-200mm lens work for your shooting style. Since you have a lens that will work, there is no rush to buy a new one. Image stabilization will help the focus system when shooting at high fps, but, isn't really needed for a sharp photo itself since you should be using a high enough shutter speed.

TTMartin, I will take your advice and try shooting with my 100-300mm lens. I will be shooting from the perimeter of the baseball field. I will try cropping my photos to try to make my subject larger in the picture and see how it turns out. The challenge will be in trying to take pictures when the subject is moving (e.g. hitting the ball).

@shorty1 wrote:

TTMartin, I will take your advice and try shooting with my 100-300mm lens. I will be shooting from the perimeter of the baseball field. I will try cropping my photos to try to make my subject larger in the picture and see how it turns out. The challenge will be in trying to take pictures when the subject is moving (e.g. hitting the ball).

Nah.  It's not going to be that bad "tracking" moving subjects. The trick that I use is to pre-focus to where I think the play is going to be.  I also use a tripod, which helps my old hands steady a telephoto zoom.  I would advise using just the center point to focus, and turn on a few "AF Assist" points, which I think the 80D has.

BTW.  If you're shooting from about 10-30 feet outside of first base, then a 100-300mm zoom should work out to be fine.  Most of your shots will probably wind up between 200mm and 300mm, so a 70-200mm lens would work well, too.Tracking at high focal lengths takes some practice, which is where a leveled camera mounted on a tripod can make for easier panning and tracking.  A pan/tilt base seems to work better with baseball, at least for me it does.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@shorty1 wrote:

The trick to getting the photo of the batter hitting the ball, is to watch the face and eyes of the batter. They will tell you where the ball is and when the batter is going to swing right before they actually start their swing. 

You might want to take a look at EOS 80D: Sophisticated AI Servo AF Control

Thanks a lot. That feature looks like it will come in handy.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I currently own a Canon 100-300mm F/4.5-5.6 ultrasonic lens ..."

This is the only lens you own?  Seems an odd lens to have by itself.  But OK, anyway, I wouldn't use it or the ef-s  55-250mm IS STM lens.  Neither of these are stellar performers and this seems a good time to upgrade.  Time to start a real bag.

First and very much the most important thing with sports, or virtually any photography, is location.  Where will you be taking the pictures from?  Can you get on the field or are you confined to the stands?  Big difference.

Ignoring that for now, let's move on to the lens.  The 80D without lens is $400 to $450 cheaper without the ef-s 18-135mm IS USM lens. That is $400 bucks you could put towards a truly great lens like the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Lens. A cheaper version with out IS isn't a big price jump over the lesser ef-s lens.  But it is a full on professional lens with all its attributes. Well worth the difference, IMHO, of course.

The few times I shot a baseball game I was allowed in the photographer's pit.  A 300mm f2.8 lens is king there.  All the guys had one and was the lens we used mostly. To round out their gear was the 70-200mm and a 24-70mm.

The 80D with the ef 70-200mm f4L with or with out IS would be a killer combo.  And if you opt for the one without IS, it is only a couple hundred more than the ef-s18-135mm IS USM lens, 80D kit.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements