cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full frame lens recommendations for 70D

photosbyjoanna
Apprentice

I am wanting to upgrade to a full frame camera in the next year or two but in the meantime get a new lens that can grow with me when I get a full frame. Right now my standard/walk around lens is a pretty old hand-me-down that wasn't of great quality to begin with. I'm thinking about the Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L. With the crop factor would this lens then be a pretty standard lens instead of the wide angle it's intended to be with a full frame? Or am I just not getting this concept? lol.

4 REPLIES 4

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

What is the range of the lens you are currently using and that will give you a good idea what range you want as your next new lens - at least FIRST new lens since there will be more in your future.

The 16-35 F4 is at the wide angle end of the spectrum.  If you like to think of things in terms of full frame equivalence then on your crop sensor camera it will have "reach and coverage" roughly equivalent to a 25-56 mm zoom mounted on a full frame.

I have a 17-40 F4 that isn't my least used lens but it is near that end of the spectrum for me because I don't use wide angle that much.  For a general purpose lens, I find the 24-70 range to be extremely useful and if I were only carrying one lens it would likely be that lens or the 70-200 depending upon my photo plans for that day.  I have both of these in F2.8 maximum aperture trim which pushes the price up a bit but Canon does have a F4 version of the 24-70 that is slightly less than the 16-35 you are looking at and many people really like the wide range 24-105 F4 that is in the same price range.

So, based upon what you are mostly photographing now and most want to photograph in the near future you can make the best decision which zoom range is going to be the most useful to you.  And if you are interested in the wide range, decide if the 17-40 F4 will meet your needs because B&H is currently selling it with a steep discount for $499.  I have been very happy with the performance of my 17-40 and would use it a lot more if I did more photography requiring moderately wide angle work.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
If you are truly interested in going FF the only lens to even consider is the ef 24-70mm f2.8L. It has no peers😀
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
IMPO the 17-40mm f4 would be very low on my want list. Like, nada!
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@photosbyjoanna wrote:

I am wanting to upgrade to a full frame camera in the next year or two but in the meantime get a new lens that can grow with me when I get a full frame. Right now my standard/walk around lens is a pretty old hand-me-down that wasn't of great quality to begin with. I'm thinking about the Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L. With the crop factor would this lens then be a pretty standard lens instead of the wide angle it's intended to be with a full frame? Or am I just not getting this concept? lol.

You might want to consider the 24-105mm f/4L. It's an excellent outdoor walkaround lens on a FF camera and a nice moderate telephoto on a 70D.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements