cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Football Sports Lens | EOS R10

Urrjay
Apprentice

I swear it's like reading in hieroglyphs when shopping for camera lens as a noob. Ive put forward as much effort as humanly possible before coming here but I'm still so lost as to what I'm looking for and what would actual work for my needs. 

My wife has a mirrorless EOS R10 with a Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L II USM EF Mount Lens that she's been using for basketball games. Now that football has started, it became evident pretty quickly that this was not the lens for football. Therefore I am on the hunt

I came across Canon RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1L IS USM. Is this a good lense for outdoor football? Is there any that you would recommend? The budget is around $2k

Thank you in advance

5 REPLIES 5

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum:

The RF 100-500 is a fabulous optic, it has excellent glass, great image stabilization and dual motors to make it focus lightning fast and great for eye/face tracking.  It's not cheap but I think it would be brilliant. 

You can get a Refurb lens from Canon that will be good as (may even be) new, and comes with a Canon warranty:
Shop Canon Refurbished RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM | Canon U.S.A., I

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Would you recommend this?

SamanthaW_0-1728663571482.png

[Replaced link to facilitate conversation.]

wq9nsc
Elite
Elite

How far away is your wife and what level of football?  At the high school level, a lot of fields are very poorly illuminated so the RF 100-500 may have too narrow an aperture.

I shoot from the sidelines and the "longest" glass I regularly use for football is a 400 f2.8.  Canon's 70-200 f2.8 is an excellent lens and is equivalent to a 320mm on the APS C R-10 so if she is fairly close to the field, it would be a great lens.

Attached photos are from 70-200 and 400 f2.8 glass respectively on full frame 1DX III bodies.  The first was captured from just outside of the end zone and the second was on the sidelines looking quite a ways up field.

And on edit, the 70-200 f2.8 is also an EXCELLENT lens for shooting basketball, soccer, and pretty much any sport.  I have a lot of Canon fast primes and zoom lenses but the majority of my photos from any sports event are captured with a 70-200 f2.8

Rodger

EF 70-200 f2.8EF 70-200 f2.8EF 400 f2.8EF 400 f2.8

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Definitely, my colleague Roger has a  point about the conditions.  Much depends on the level of light and the positions from which your wife can take her images.  If she can be on the sidelines, then the RF 70-200 f/2.8 may be a great solution.  If, on the other hand, she is shooting from further away and in decent light, then the reach of the RF 100-500 may be better.
You and she may both find this video of value: 
How To Photograph Football - Part 1 - BYU Photo (youtube.com)

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

I have to ask, so please don't take offense.  Why is your wife not asking these questions and engaging with us?
There are two benefits for this:
1. She assumedly knows more about photography, so will not find the process as stressful and will take a lot of pressure from you.
2. She will have a first-person perspective on what she wants or is comfortable with.  I have seen multiple cases where a generous-minded person has bought gear for someone, but it's not what they really want or need. That puts them in the difficult position of using it despite that, or risking upsetting the donor by saying so.

Honestly, I would encourage you to have her take part in the conversation.   If this is a gift, then once she has got the advice she needs, you can take her out shopping with you and make that process a part of the gift.  I would be surprised if she is not delighted with your consideration and engagement to be with her in the buying process.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements