cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focus preset not working on EF500mm F4 with R5 or 7d mark ii

Lumo1960
Contributor

Hello all, I bought a used EF 500mm F4 L IS USM apparently in near mint condition the only issue I have with it is that the focus preset does not work with my R5 or my 7d mark ii. Doe any one have any knowledge if this feature is or is not supported on the R5 or 7d2 with older EF Lenses?

I would appreciate any help, Thx

14 REPLIES 14

Peter
Authority
Authority

It is not supported in Live view mode (7D II) or with any mirrorless camera from Canon. 7D II in viewfinder mode should work.

Focus Preset with my EF 300/2.8L IS USM doesn't work with my R6/M5. Only works with my DSLR cameras in viewfinder mode.

It is similar to EF 35-80 Power Zoom. Zoom is not working in live view or with any mirrorless camera from Canon.

Why would it not work with MILC bodies?  The entire process of defining a preset and recalling it appears to be completely independent of the camera. You are even instructed not to press the shutter. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

My bad I guess I should have specified my EF 500mm L IS is not a version II. It's the previous version I guess that would be version I.

I have version I of 300/2.8L IS USM. Do you have an older camera to try with?

Focus preset ON, focus with the AF button, press SET to save the distance and use the ring at the front of the lens.

I have a canon T2 that I let my son use, I was thinking of trying it with that Camera. 

Thx Peter, I can't get it to work with my 7d M2 even on viewfinder mode.

No idea. Works with my 6D and 7D.

@Lumo1960 wrote:

Thx Peter, I can't get it to work with my 7d M2 even on viewfinder mode.

How are you trying to recall the focus preset?  

This lens was released in 1999.  As per the User Manual, the shutter does not need to be used to set it or recall the preset.  It is all done on the lens.  I believe this is the same manual for Peter’s lens.

[EDIT] Make sure the metering system in the viewfinder is active, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements