cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T3i Lens Adaptor for Kalimar Lens

Seca64
Apprentice

I jhave a Cannon EOS Rebel T3-I,

. I want to use my Kalimar 500mm mirror lens for moon shots. What adaptor do I need to mount it??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

normadel
Authority
Authority

What lens mount does the Kalimar have? There are adapters for other lens mounts-to-EF mount.

There is a consideration, besides not having any automation. If it is for an Canon FD -mount lens, the available adapters have optical elements in them to provide for infinity focus, but they are of poor quality.  Get one that has a removable element, like a Fotodiox. With a mirror lens you don't need the element to have infinity focus. And there's no loss of the lens's image quality.  I have a Vivitar FD-mount 500mm. mirror lens that I use on my Canon DSLRs. I'd be willing to bet it and your Kalimar were made by the same manufacturer!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Kalimar ...  some kind of T Mount??  I'm not familiar with this brand, but you are looking at a 100% manual experience.  At $29 I can't imagine what the image quality might be.  Someone else can reply who is familiar with it.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

normadel
Authority
Authority

What lens mount does the Kalimar have? There are adapters for other lens mounts-to-EF mount.

There is a consideration, besides not having any automation. If it is for an Canon FD -mount lens, the available adapters have optical elements in them to provide for infinity focus, but they are of poor quality.  Get one that has a removable element, like a Fotodiox. With a mirror lens you don't need the element to have infinity focus. And there's no loss of the lens's image quality.  I have a Vivitar FD-mount 500mm. mirror lens that I use on my Canon DSLRs. I'd be willing to bet it and your Kalimar were made by the same manufacturer!

i ORIGINALY USED IT ON MY Minolta, THEN WENT TO DIGITAL

normadel
Authority
Authority

Here's a Minolta MD - to - Canon EF adapter with a removable correction lens:

FotodioX Pro Lens Mount Adapter for Minolta MD/MC/SR MD-EOS-PRO (bhphotovideo.com)

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

IMHO, it isn't worth the time you spend trying to use it let alone any money spent trying to adapt it to the T3i. Forget it and save up or put any money spent on a better, made for the T3i, lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

normadel
Authority
Authority

Seca64's opinion is what matters.  Is there not a place for people who want to make use of what they already have?Where are you going to find a 500mm lens that, on a crop-sensor body, will act like an 800mm (actually even more with the adapter being an extension tube) for the cost of an adapter?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" Is there not a place for people who want to make use of what they already have?"

It is a cost vs return and as clearly stated my personal opinion. You are free to accept or reject.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements