cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R10 Lens recommendations for concert and band photography

WordmanPhoto
Apprentice

I have a Canon R10. Looking for guidance on lenses for my R10. I do mostly rock n roll performance photography and band photography.

cant afford these 3000 lenses yet 

7 REPLIES 7

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

WordmanPhoto,

You can get an RF 50mm f/1.8 for about $170 and an RF 35mm f/1.8 for about $450.

Those should be pretty good for low light photography indoors, if you can get relatively close to the performers.

Steve Thomas

JayLT
Contributor

Don't dismiss all the EF lenses on the market as well, that can open up some third-party options as well as a much more robust used market.  An EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II is a great lens and can be had for around $1000 USD on the used market.  These EF lenses work just as well, or better, on the R-bodies in my opinion as they can be used with the much more advanced AF systems

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
When you are photographing can you describe the conditions under which you do so?  Particularly how close, the light etc.
Also what do you produce?  Images for social media, for digital display, small-to-moderate prints, large detailed prints.
Thank you!

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks for the information. Most shots are in an amphora large club setting with pretty low light conditions except for the colored lights used. I’m usually anywhere between 5’ to 17’. 

If needing to get up close (isolate subjects), I would recommend a zoom lens with wide aperture (e.g. 24-70mm f/2.8).  Even with that wide aperture though, you'll probably need to raise ISO.  If though you want to take images capturing more of the scene, a prime lens with a wider aperture would do very well (e.g. RF 35mm f/1.8)

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Yes, not only is the distance to subject an issue, but whether the shots are going to be head shots, full individuals or the whole band.  If all of the above (which I suspect that like me you are thinking) then a fast zoom lens might be the way to go.
Since we don't seem to have a definitive budget - "can't afford those $3k lenses" leaves a lot of wriggle room, it's hard to really know what is and is not affordable.   If the need is for rock-bottom investment, a somewhat left-field option, apart from the economical and fast prime R units so far mentioned, might be the EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8.  Yes, it's old, but it's a great lens (often considered the best EF-S lens) and with a fast aperture.  That might leave enough funds for something like an EF 70-200 f/4 MkII, which is small, reasonably fast and possibly affordable.
I grant that without a real budget this is all speculation...

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@WordmanPhoto wrote:

I have a Canon R10. Looking for guidance on lenses for my R10. I do mostly rock n roll performance photography and band photography.

cant afford these 3000 lenses yet 

First and foremost, you need to clearly state a budget.  What lens do you currently own?

If you are only seeing the most expensive, then where are you looking?  Canon offers several “STM” lenses under $1000 USD, and most retail for around $500 USD, or so.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements