cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R50 lens recommendations for wildlife and nature

g_khajanchi
Contributor

What is best RF lens for wildlife & nature photography with supporting Canon EOS R50 

9 REPLIES 9

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
It would help if you can be a bit more specific:
Which part of the world are you located in (this is an international site)?
What is your budget $ value?
What kinds of wildlife - that covers a range from insects to large predators, and bush dwellers to herds of grazing animals on grassy plains?
How do you expect to show your images - on social media, digital displays, small-medium prints, or very large detailed prints?
Providing these details will help us to give you the best solutions

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi, I am beginner and belong from Rajasthan India. photography is my hobby. I have Canon EOS R50 (RF-s18-45mm f/4.5-6.3 IS stm) (RF-s55-210mm f5-7.1 IS stm) lens. and budget approx. 50-1 lakh INR.

March411
Rising Star

Good day g_khajanchi,

The R50 is a small and light weight body so you want to be aware of how much weight and pressure you put on the mount. If you buy a larger lens, whenever possible support the weight through the lens.

Your R50 being a crop sensor will give you a crop factor of 1.6x if you purchase a full frame lens. For that body the RF100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM for $650 US would be a good place to start. It is light weight and with the factor of 1.6X you effectively have a 160-600mm lens.

The price is right, the weight is light and it will give you decent range. The one challenge is the lens needs light. On overcast days, early morning and at twilight you may need to bump up your ISO.

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!
Accuracy of statement is one of the first elements of truth; inaccuracy is a near kin to falsehood. - Tryon Edwards

90D ~ 5D Mk IV ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
Personal Gallery

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... a crop factor of 1.6x if you purchase a full frame lens."

All lenses are full frame.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

March411
Rising Star

You never stop Ernie, ok..... not a S series which are specific to APS-C cameras.

I believe you are much like Eeyore, always on the side of glum and offering little assistance.  Do you have a recommendation for the OP or did you just decide it was best to post and criticize my verbiage?

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!
Accuracy of statement is one of the first elements of truth; inaccuracy is a near kin to falsehood. - Tryon Edwards

Personal Gallery

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Well, my friend, your verbiage that I criticize is misleading as are a lot of the replies on the forum and other forums as well. The sentence, "Your R50 being a crop sensor will give you a crop factor of 1.6x if you purchase a full frame lens.", implies there is a difference in a FF lens and a crop lens in focal length. And as we all know, or should know, but perhaps the OP doesn't, there is not.

You might want to read this, "... be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!"

EB

March411
Rising Star

I have read that statement often and attempt to embody it every time I post. If you read the majority of my posts you'll find that I attempt to be completely solution based and offer what I can for assistance to the OP. I make a very concerted effort to be unlike others that rarely if ever offer solutions and criticize others for no useful reason other than self-gratification. 

I do however make it a point not to accept others self indulgence and disregard for the statement be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!

Are you getting the drift Ernie because my more direct response was given the hook. I have asked you several times and you have often ignored the question/statement. Do you offer people solutions or do you simply critique others?

Personal Gallery

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I guess the solution is, you should be more accurate and correct in your replies. That way I would not have to correct them.

EB

March411
Rising Star

When you are attempting to convey a message sometimes thoughts do not convert to the written word. Most people understand a typo or a lack of clarity. Others take a perverse pleasure in in criticism, I believe you are the later. While others tolerate your bull I am simply pointing out that you offer little value to help others.

Perfect example: https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EF-RF-Lenses/Would-the-Sigma-18-50mm-f2-8-be-perfect-for-my-Canon...

You always avoid the direct question, do you offer people solutions or do you simply critique others? So back to  the quote "Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!". You should try it sometime in stead of throwing back to someone that embodies the meaning, well except when I bump into a certain type of individual.

Another one that may be applicable The critic is a man who prefers the indolence of opinion to the trials of action. 

Personal Gallery
click here to view the gallery
Announcements