cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM image stabilization seems to "stick" or get stuck when panning?

jberg44
Contributor

When I am panning while taking video with my 70-200 (on the 1D X Mk III), the image stabilization will briefly stick or get "caught up" and will then jolt forward, instead of smoothly stabilizing as I pan. Sometimes it is so bad that I can feel it getting stuck with my hands as I film. This has only happened recently and occurs no matter what my cameras settings are. I will attach a video of this happening while I am panning. I have tried both IS mode 1 and 2 and neither seem to make any difference. (Starts to get really bad at 7 seconds)

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I have seen this too on some lenses, but only when the IS "revs up". IS units can certainly go bad. I suggest sending it back to Canon.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You best course of action is to send camera and lens to Canon for a C&C. Include a description of the issue you are seeing.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, best to get it fixed before it hinders production 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@jberg44,

Can you share your video settings with us?

What video mode and frame rate were you shooting with?

You mentioned all modes.  Is that correct?    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

This clip was shot in 1080p at 120fps, IS was on mode 2.

Yes, this happens in all modes with various settings/frame rates unfortunately 

I was recently in a sandy environment and there was a lot of loose dust in the air so I wouldn’t be surprised if that caused it.  

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you have Movie Digital IS enabled, try turning it off.  The option does not appear in all still?movie   shooting modes.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

So I turned off the cameras movie digital IS and it seemed to fix the issue, so should I send the camera out to get checked?

Announcements