cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 70-200 F4L worth it at €190? Teleconverter compatibility?

karutvo2
Apprentice

Hi, Recently came across a deal for the ef 70-200 f4L lens for 190€. Its the first gen and doesnt have any IS, but i have IBIS on my R7 so thats not a deal braker. Been looking for something in that range as i loved using the 100mm on my former 100-400 tamron lens. Is it worth buying? And does it take teleconverters?

1 REPLY 1

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum!

Your questions speak volumes.  Is the lens worth buying?  That would depend on the condition of the lens, and who the seller is.  You make no mention of the condition of the lens or who the seller might be.  I recommend sticking to buying used gear from a used camera gear dealer, who can or may offer some type guarantee.  A private seller will often sell you gear “as-is” without a guarantee.  The asking price you cited suggests the latter case.  The price is on the low side, IMHO.  I would want some “hands on” time before I bought it.

As for compatibility with the R7 and will it work with a teleconverter goes, who knows.  That is not a recent lens design.  It was released prior to Canon releasing Dual Pixel AF image sensors, so do not expect full compatibility with the more advanced AF features.  If it works, then I would consider it to be a happy acccident.

Will it work with a teleconverter?  Who knows.  You did not specify a brand or a type, 1.4x or 2x.  Also, Canon has released at least three generations of their teleconverters, which means you will get different performance and compatibility with each version.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements