cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 70-200 F2.8 L II USM Tracking and Focusing Problem

EthanMcMahon
Apprentice

I have an R7 (less than a year old) and an EF 70-200 F2.8 L II USM connected with the canon brand mount adapter. So far I’ve had no issues but recently my camera/lens has been having focusing issues, my camera in most instances will still track a subject and know what it’s supposed to focus on but my lens just won’t do it. I’ve cleaned the already very clean contacts, clean the lens glass, updated firmware gone through every setting in the camera. I’m really hoping it’s not something huge like the motor in the camera is going but if someone could please provide some insight.

14 REPLIES 14

My uncle still owns the 70-200mm F/2.8 version 2. He purchased the lens new in 2013. My friend's dad still owns his copy from 2010. He pre-ordered his new in 2010 to replace the original non-IS F/2.8 model from 1995. I own the current 70-200mm F/2.8 version 3 lens. 

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Michieltje
Apprentice

Hi, I have the same problem, only with R6-body. I had it twice now, with some months in between without any issues. Executed all the actions you did as well after the 1st occurrence, but this weekend it ‘came back’. I am thinking if temperature might be an issue. On both occasions it was warm and sunny, camera out all day in direct sunlight (1st time was at an open field soccer tournament, 2nd occurrence during an airshow). Both times it happened after some hours (at the warmest hours of the day). Absolute temperature was about 32degC (90degF), so should be no issue, however direct sunlight might have heated the converter? I found, for the lens itself, direct sunlight should not be any problem because is a ‘special’ heat reflective coating. However the converter is all black, so might heat up (I did not check it at the time, but thought of it the day after). The morning after the 2nd occurrence, problem was ‘gone’. Autofocus and tracking functioned as normal. 

I have no proof for the theory above, but might temperature be an issue at your side as well? At least curious to know!

Thanks for your reaction!

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

I notice you say you are shooting in H+ mode.  Have you tried throttling back the frame-rate to just H?  It may be because the lens cannot handle the rate of change and has suffered over time.  If nothing else, worth a try...

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Losart3d
Contributor

I just noticed I have the same issue 
Been doing mostly manual focus macro with my r5
This weekend I toon the levs out to a dress rehearsal and auto focus motor seemed dead 😞

Ok, so I just fixed mine

Have you by any means used macro rings with your lens?

It looks like the last time I used the macro rings, the lens was left in a wonky state where the autofocus wouldn't work 

To fix it, I put on my macro ring and ran a couple of focus tests. The focus motor was operating the entire range. After I removed the macro ring, the lens started working correctly again. I am Not sure what that was about, but my macro rings are 3rd party and could be overdriving the lens 🤷🏻‍♂️

Announcements