cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 100-400 IS II, IS lock up?

Hikelife
Apprentice

Hello, I just got a used 100-400 with a known "rattle" when shaken, so far everything seems to function but haven't tried it out much yet. When half shutter depressed everything runs as expected, IS and AF both work perfectly, but after IS is depowered the lock up doesn't function and is free to shake till repowered, has anyone come across this issue and a possible resolution or is it just a matter of sending it in for repair?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for that.  I have the same lens.

When the lens is not connected to a camera, or it is not powered up, the IS element within the optics is free to move around, so a slight rattle is not unusual.  I have used several of this variant, and the degree of rattle seems to vary a bit, but I have not found this to be an issue.

When the lens is active, the IS element is moving at high speed and thus the gyroscopic effect of the movement, as it is intended, should not result in a significant rattle.

You might find this reference handy in getting to know more about your lens.
User manual Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM (English - 21 pages)

I hope this addresses your question!

Where abouts do you hike?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum:

There are several variants of the 100-400: the EF (original) 100-400 and a MkII one, then there is the RF 100-400.  Which of these do you have?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you for the welcome!

I have the EF 100-400 4.5-5.6 L IS II USM

Thanks for that.  I have the same lens.

When the lens is not connected to a camera, or it is not powered up, the IS element within the optics is free to move around, so a slight rattle is not unusual.  I have used several of this variant, and the degree of rattle seems to vary a bit, but I have not found this to be an issue.

When the lens is active, the IS element is moving at high speed and thus the gyroscopic effect of the movement, as it is intended, should not result in a significant rattle.

You might find this reference handy in getting to know more about your lens.
User manual Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM (English - 21 pages)

I hope this addresses your question!

Where abouts do you hike?

cheers, TREVOR

Any clue where I can buy that in paper form? The one I bought only came with a three or four page manual. Thanks.

Sorry, no idea where  (I live in NZ), but you could always get it printed, or download it to your phone or tablet.

cheers, TREVOR

Highly appreciate the info and definitely answered my question! Im glad its a known "feature" and not a major issue across the models. 
I hike the north eastern US in the 4k peaks for the majority. Try to bring my camera along as much as i can!

Glad you are reassured!   I used to hike in BC and Alberta but now live in NZ where I have also 'tramped' (as we call it here) over a significant part of the company.   Given these were multi-day activities and I didn't want to overload, and much as I love Canon gear, I use the Sony RX-10IV - which is arguable still the world's best bridge camera. 

It's got a 20MP BSI/stacked 1" sensor, IS, and a fabulous Zeiss lens of 24-600mm (equivalent FoV) attached.  The menus are horrible, but I have configured the beast to my needs so I don't have to access them any longer.   The saving in bulk and weight is significant.  I can take landscapes and immediately get up close and personal with a bird (the main variety of wildlife here).

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements