cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does it make sense to invest in EF-L lenses as a M mount owner?

ernen
Apprentice

I really like the small size of the m mount system. But I have needs that the m mount lenses won't satisfy, hence looking at EF-L lenses.

I know about the RF mount but one it's physically bigger and SO expensive!

I am happy with m50mk2 & m6mk2 that I have right now. I don't think I'll be moving to the R line until I repay my student loans so that's like 5+ years.

Currently I am looking to get

Sigma 18-35 f1.8

Canon 100-400L ii

Sigma 50-100 f1.8

If I go ahead with this plan, I'll buy one of these lenses a year in that order.

I know about the m mount Sigma trio but I feel the Sigma 1.8 zoom is a better option than that.

Is this a good strategy or there is something better I can get for my money long term.

Photography is a hobby for me and I don't see a day where I'll be making money from it.

Current gear: m50mk2, m6mk2, 11-22mm, 15-45mm, 18-55mm, 22mm, 32mm, 55-200mm (all ef-m mount)

8 REPLIES 8

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Of the three lenses you mentioned the only one I would consider would be the EF 100-400 L.  

You have the other focal lengths covered.  3 yrs from now, (maybe even less) I suspect you might find yourself in a completely different situation.  To ensure future compatibility, I would stick with Canon glass.  

You have nice body's, but one will be seven and the other will be eight 3 years from now.  Remember as well, the M line is already discontinued.

Another option might be to buy glass used or refurbished.  Call KEH or Adorama and see if you can trade in some of those EF-M lenses to help offset the expense of the others.  

In photography, lenses are your real investment.  Body's will come and go.  Sticking with Canon glass will ensure best performance and compatibility, today and in the future.

Again, I think you may find yourself in a different situation 1 to 3 years from now.  Sigma does make nice lenses.  I've used them for many years.  Now that RF licensing is opening up, they are moving in a different direction as well.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick is spot on, as are the others. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I bought a M6 II a few years ago with the 18-150 M mount as a travel camera and it has worked well for that purpose.  I sometimes miss my 1 series performance on trips but the M is much easier for casual flying trips.

I have used several of my EF lenses with the M6 MII including my EF 800 f5.6 which makes a rather odd looking combination, the M6 looks like a bug landed on the lens barrel given the size difference.  A few times I have brought my Sigma 150-600 with EF to M adapter along on trips and it has worked well to complement the 18-150 Canon lens.  The M does work well with an EF adapter.

I agree with Rick's advice to seriously think about used glass with a lot of people selling some very nice EF glass to move to R bodies.  I also agree with the long-term aspect of buying the best quality glass and I still use a couple of the L series lenses I bought with my first Canon 1 series from 2005.  BUT there is a bit of a wrinkle for me now as someone who has shot with Canon gear for over 4 decades because if I make a switch to mirrorless I will be looking closely at Sony and Nikon so I am not inclined to make any additional long-term lens purchases at this time.  And any possible switch in manufacturers in your future is a good reason to look at buying used instead of new glass to minimize short-term costs while repaying your student loans which also minimizes the cost of ownership/switching.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You have a double dead end. Thinking about a 5 year or even 3 year plan based on an M series camera body is not a good plan, IMHO. You know the old saying, when you find yourself in a hole stop digging.  From what you listed in gear you have just about all you need for that M body. Put the money you want to spend on the dead end lenses towards your student loan.

In 3 to 5 years who knows what the R series will look like but it is going to be a fact when you go R you will want RF lenses not old EF lenses. Look the M series was just a stop gap or Canon. They didn't have a mirrorless and the M was what they rushed to market. It is basically a Powershot that has interchangeable lenses.

Read Rick's post above several times.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

megnani
Contributor

The following content was generated by AI. It may contain errors or inaccuracies, and should not be relied upon as a substitute for professional support.

Investing in EF-L lenses as an M mount owner can make sense depending on your photography needs and future plans. Here are some considerations to help you decide:

### Compatibility
- **Adapters**: Canon offers the EF-EOS M adapter, which allows you to use EF and EF-L lenses on an M mount camera. This adapter maintains autofocus and image stabilization capabilities, making it a viable option for expanding your lens choices.

### Quality and Performance
- **Optical Quality**: EF-L lenses are known for their superior build quality, sharpness, and overall performance. If you require high-end optics for professional work, investing in EF-L lenses can provide significant benefits.
- **Durability**: L lenses are built to withstand challenging conditions, which is ideal for photographers who shoot in various environments.

### Future-Proofing
- **Camera Body Upgrades**: If you plan to upgrade to a Canon DSLR or full-frame mirrorless camera in the future, having EF-L lenses can be advantageous as they are compatible with a wider range of Canon cameras.
- **Versatility**: EF-L lenses can be used on both M mount cameras (with an adapter) and full-frame DSLRs or mirrorless bodies, providing greater flexibility.

### Considerations
- **Size and Weight**: EF-L lenses are typically larger and heavier than EF-M lenses, which might be less convenient for the compact form factor of M mount cameras.
- **Cost**: EF-L lenses are more expensive than EF-M lenses. Assess whether the investment aligns with your budget and photographic needs.
- **EF-M Lens Alternatives**: Evaluate the available EF-M lenses to see if they meet your requirements. EF-M lenses are designed specifically for M mount cameras and offer a more compact and lightweight option.

However, if you prioritize a compact and lightweight setup and find that EF-M lenses meet your current needs, it might be more practical to stick with EF-M lenses.

For clarification. 😄  There is no EF-L lens mount.  "L" is not a Canon mount designation.  Its a designation given to a lens series.  Sigma Global Vision lenses have a C, A or S series designation. 

L-Mount was created by Lecia.  Its used on Lecia, Panasonic and Sigma plus a few other brands as well. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“ Current gear: m50mk2, m6mk2, 11-22mm, 15-45mm, 18-55mm, 22mm, 32mm, 55-200mm (all ef-m mount) “

I feel that you have maxed out the EF-M system.  I think your plan makes false assumptions about the future availability of EF mount lenses. 

The M series is designed to be compact system, not an all around workhorse. The EF mount lenses that you cited will present a significantly higher drain on batteries compared to your current native mount EF-M lenses.  

My advice is to upgrade your camera system, if you wish explore professional grade lenses. You’re M series bodies are just too small. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I still have a couple of M5 bodies and have the EF-M 11-22, 18-55 and 55-200 lenses,  I used to own the EF-M 22 and 32mm lenses too, along with the 18-150 but sold these as I went to the R-series bodies. The two primes in particular are excellent lenses, and the others do a fine job for their purposes.

All of these lenses fulfil your stated preference to minimize bulk and weight, so what do you mean by "I have needs that the m mount lenses won't satisfy"?  As these are extremely large, and heavy optics that will further require the EF-EFM adapter you are really adding significant bulk and weight.  What kinds of subjects are you shooting?   

I can see that the aperture values are larger, of course, but this seems like a lot of expense in terms of glass to add to these older bodies without a specific pressing need, especially as you say "Photography is a hobby for me and I don't see a day where I'll be making money from it."  

If you intend to move to the R platform when you can afford to, then there will be a lot of compelling RF lenses to choose from - the range is expanding fast and you may find the market for used EF glass has subsided a bit.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
click here to view the gallery
Announcements