cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different lengths of Lens hoods for one lens

ilzho
Rising Star

I'm looking for a lens hood for my efs-17-55 and it should be EW 83J.

I was looking on Canon's website and ebay and noticed the cheap knock offs on ebay.

They are different lengths and shapes, so that brings up a question:

Do these smaller hood lengths work?

The price difference $4 vs $50 (you get what you pay for)

I would trust canon and go with what they have, but I thought I would get your opinion. 

Thanks,

David

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The problem with many 3rd party hoods, is that you can get vignetting in your images.  Or even worse, the hood itself will be visible around the edges of your photos.  Beware of "general" purpose hoods, because they are usually the worse.

The better ones will specify a specific lens that they are made for.  Some brands list the "angle of view" that you can expect to get with the hood.  As long as the AOV is wider than that of your lens, then you should be okay.

Again, sticking with the Canon hoods are best.  BTW, I never bothered with a hood for my EF-S 17-55mm kit lens.  I figured it wasn't worth it, although it might help the resale value should I ever decide to sell it with the Rebel T5 camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That's good to know.

I like my canon efs 17-55 f2.8 is usm lens.

I don't mind getting a hood for it, just didn't know about the 3rd party junk out there. Those 3rd party ones have canon on them, this is why I was a little confused.

If I get one, it will be from canon.

@ilzho wrote:

That's good to know.

I like my canon efs 17-55 f2.8 is usm lens.

I don't mind getting a hood for it, just didn't know about the 3rd party junk out there. Those 3rd party ones have canon on them, this is why I was a little confused.

If I get one, it will be from canon.

My lens is not the "IS USM".  It's older than that release.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@ilzho wrote:

I'm looking for a lens hood for my efs-17-55 and it should be EW 83J.

I was looking on Canon's website and ebay and noticed the cheap knock offs on ebay.

They are different lengths and shapes, so that brings up a question:

Do these smaller hood lengths work?

The price difference $4 vs $50 (you get what you pay for)

I would trust canon and go with what they have, but I thought I would get your opinion. 

Thanks,

David

1.  Get the Canon hood, and don't lose or break it. If you keep it for the life of the lens, the cost difference will be at the level of roundoff error.

2.  Start thinking for yourself. We've seen your work, and you're already too good a photographer to be asking us about how much you should spend for a lens hood. Start watching for questions you can answer, rather than just for questions you can ask.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Peter
Authority
Authority

I have the 17-55/2,8IS. First I bought a lens hood for $10. Every time I touch it unintentionally it will move a little bit and become visable on my pictures. I bought the Canon lens hood instead that fits like a glove.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

David,

"... but I thought I would get your opinion."

OK, fair enough, here is mine.

I almost never recommend any third party accessories.  I know there are some that may work well but my background doesn't

let me go with cheap stuff that could fail. Even now, although I am retired. I guarantee you it will fail and it will fail at the worse possible time.

On-the-other-hand folks that don't use their camera for a livivng can justify using less than the best.  If a shot doesn't come out, there is always another one. That is the other side of it and I can easily see it.

Go with Canon.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements