cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost to replace aperture control mechanism on 24-105 f4

TraciMcPhoto
Contributor

My 24-105mm f4 started to give me the camera communication error every time I tried to shoot outdoors.  Local (reputable) camera repair place recommends replacing the aperture control mechanism.  Quoted $428.00.  Anyone had this done?  Does this seem in the ballpark price-wise for this type of repair, or should I get a second opinion and ship it to Canon directly? 

2 REPLIES 2

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The correct answer is, yes, contact and send it to Canon. It is more than just unbolting the assembly and bolting in a new one. There will be alignment issues that Canon will correct. Plus they will check out the entire lens. Perhaps it is not the aperture control mech that is the issue. Canon will know.

Small shops often tend to replace whole assemblies hoping that will correct the problem. They don't have the proper testing equipment to troubleshoot the lens or camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you!  I wanted to send it to Canon originally but their automated phone system got me so frustrated I gave up and went with a local person I could talk to.  Their automated system didn't recognize my lens and it kept hanging up on me.  I was finally able to navigate through the Canon repair info this morning and will send it to them. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements