cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuous AF

tgr74
Apprentice

Hi all!  I recently got the RF85mm 1.2 and I'm using it on the R5 body.  I thought it was defective becuase it is CONSTANTLY hunting focus even when I have not half pressed the shutter.  It is a loud focusing system so it was really driving me nuts.  I thought it was defective as none of my other lenses seem to do this.  I did some poking around online and discovered that indeed I did have Continuous AF enabled.  SO... All of my lenses must have been doing the same thing but you just don't hear it so it's imperceptible.  Here is my question...  it seems like a really good thing to have enabled especially when shooting people, but I would assume that even if disabled, when using any of the eye tracking modes those would sort of override the disable and enable it - for that mode.  Am I correct to think this, or would enabling it with eye tracking be even better when shooting people?  Sorry long winded.  Any help is greatly apppreciated!  Sorry for typos - typing fast.  

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Test it, and see. I would expect setting it to disable should disable the AF.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Theresek
Apprentice

I've noticed the same thing with both the RF 35 and RF 50.  I've tried different settings and I'm struggling to get them to focus at all.  I've had to switch to manual focus during a family photo shoot!  

Have you looked at the menu system to see if Continuous Autofocus is turned on.  What you describe would happen if it was.  Servo autofocus is what you want, not continuous...

@Theresek wrote:

I've noticed the same thing with both the RF 35 and RF 50.  I've tried different settings and I'm struggling to get them to focus at all.  I've had to switch to manual focus during a family photo shoot!  

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I don't have the RF 85mm 1.2 but I do have the EF 85mm f1.2L. If the RF 85mm 1.2 is anything like its older brother, and I bet it is, it is a slow focusing lens. Perhaps too slow for good eye tracking AF.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"It is a loud focusing system so it was really driving me nuts."

The EF 85mm f1.2L is not overly loud at least mine is not. Since it is a slow to focus lens maybe it seems louder because you hear it longer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements