cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon RF 200-800mm lens: Error 60

alanlevans40
Apprentice

I have just returned to the UK from Canada, having bought (on  Sept 9th) an RF200-800 mm lens. On sailing back across the Atlantic the lens showed error 60. I removed the lens and cleaned the contacts (with the cloth provided) but I couldn't get anything other than error 60. I reverted to using my EF-S lens (with converter). 2 days later, the camera body , an EOS r10 ceased working.....display screen is completely pink. I'm now stuck with a 4 week old lens with warranty in USA and Canada only? and a r10 body 26  months old, ie 2 months out of warranty? , bought in UK. What can you suggest 

1 REPLY 1

wq9nsc
Elite
Elite

I would first see if a local to you camera store will let you try the RF 200-800 lens on one of their R bodies because that error 60 might have been an early symptom of your camera body failing instead of a problem with the lens.

Because the lens was purchased in its authorized market, if it is the issue then you should be able to have it repaired under warranty by returning it to one of the Canon service centers in that market.  But first I would contact Canon Europe to see what corporate policy is on a lens that was bought legitimately in another market because Canon may have some waiver for this since it wasn't the typical grey market purchase.

Did you try removing the battery from your R10 for at least 10 minutes and then trying again?  If so and it is still broken, get an estimate from Canon repair and see whether the projected cost it is worth it to you or if this is maybe a time to upgrade.  Hopefully the repair cost is far less than the cost of the camera body, if not talk with Canon Europe customer service and see about any upgrade assistance they may provide to you.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements