cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM not as sharp as myCanon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS

Antonrides
Contributor

Hi can't seem to get a sharp a image with my 70- 200 as I can with my 100-400mm. Should I be getting just as sharp photos with both lenses. I still have a warranty with best buy.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Skirball
Authority

What are your shooting conditions?  If you were below 1/400 or so the IS on the 100-400 could make a significant difference.  Try a controlled test, on a tripod, same settings, IS off.

View solution in original post

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Hi can't seem to get a sharp a image with my 70- 200 as I can with my 100-400mm."

These two lenses should provide similar results as long as you are using them both the same way.  Possibly the 70-200mm f4 would give slightly better sharpness.  It is an easier lens to use as it has less focal length to influence your pictures.  Generally everything is multiplied as the focal length goes up.  Even the bad stuff!  You need to compare them in exacting manner, though.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Skirball
Authority

What are your shooting conditions?  If you were below 1/400 or so the IS on the 100-400 could make a significant difference.  Try a controlled test, on a tripod, same settings, IS off.

Thanks I will

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Hi can't seem to get a sharp a image with my 70- 200 as I can with my 100-400mm."

These two lenses should provide similar results as long as you are using them both the same way.  Possibly the 70-200mm f4 would give slightly better sharpness.  It is an easier lens to use as it has less focal length to influence your pictures.  Generally everything is multiplied as the focal length goes up.  Even the bad stuff!  You need to compare them in exacting manner, though.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

And re-calibrate the autofocus microadjustment for the 70-200, if your camera supports it. It's unusual for an "L" lens to require AFMA, but it's always worth checking.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements