cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8 II IS Lens on EOS M200

Shawnie
Apprentice

I recently purchased a Canon EOS M200 for streaming and youtube stuff. I really like the camera and has sparked my love for photography back up. So I bought a 50mm f/1.8 lens with a commlite CM-EF-EOS M Adapter for some portraits. But recently I just seen a facebook post of someone in my area selling a Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L II IS Lens in excellent condition that was only used a hand full of times. I'd be able to get this for $7,00 CAD ( around $1,300 USD), but obviously would like to get a good look at it and test it first. I was wondering what kind of advise community could give me if this is something that I should do? From what I've seen a 70-200mm 2.8 lens is not something that would be used with a M200 as much as the other models obviously. But would it still be something that would work ok and have good results? Another camera is always an option down the line. But I'm already getting in pretty deep after the camera and these lenses. I just know how much high praise this lens has and would love to give it a go with what I have. Thanks if you made it this far and I'd love to get some input!

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It is a great lens, assuming it is in good condition, and includes both the hood and tripod collar/foot.  The lens bag would be nice to have, too.  But, I do not think it is a good match for the M200 for the simple reason that the M200 lacks a viewfinder.  Adding the EVF accessory would be significant added drain on the already strained battery.

Would it work on a tripod shooting video, most certainly.  Cannot say how long the battery would last if the AF is turned on.  If you plan to buy another camera body within the next year or two, then it might be a good purchase.  Just remember, the future of Canon EF mount lenses and DSLRs seems to be in its' twilight.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for your reply! It comes ncludes the lens, padded carrying case, collar mount, lens cap, and rear cap. As for shooting video, I'd be mostly using this for photography if that makes a difference.

@Shawnie wrote:

Thank you for your reply! It comes ncludes the lens, padded carrying case, collar mount, lens cap, and rear cap. As for shooting video, I'd be mostly using this for photography if that makes a difference.

No viewfinder.  The pairing will be more than a little front heavy.  I think adding an EVF accessory is a good option with lenses that do not draw much power.  The EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM will be a beast of a lens with any M Series camera.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I was wondering what kind of advise community could give me ..."

The ef 70-200mm f2.8L is one of if not the best lens Canon makes. WOuld I buy it, absolutely, but not for a M series camera. Not because it would drain the battery.  Geez, man you can buy a spare battery or two. Not brain surgery there.

IMHO, if you are truly bitten by the photography bug you need to up your game with a different camera. Perhaps a 90D or 6D Mk II. That lens on one of those bodies is a killer combo and it don't get much better for any price. Not on an M.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I was wondering what kind of advise community could give me ..."

Geez, man you can buy a spare battery or two. Not brain surgery there..

You did not read what I wrote, did you?  

The camera lacks a viewfinder.  I pointed to the lack of an EVF as the main reason not to pair the lens with the M200.  Adding the EVF accessory probably means reducing shot count nearly in half when it comes to battery life.  

Like any Canon body, fps and AF performance take a hit once you go below 40-50% power remaining on the battery.  I would be surprised if you could get much more than 50-100 shots per battery with that lens and an EVF.  You would not want to try to  shoot with that lens by using the rear viewfinder.  

The battery problems are a secondary concern, and only add to the argument against pairing that lens with the M200.

You love to argue opinions so here goes. Neither of us think it a good idea. OK settled!  Personally I wouldn't buy an M series if it were attached to a nuclear power plant.  No that is bad nor good. It's just not for me, to each his own. However, you can bang your head against the wall several times or you can buy a spare or several extra batteries. Like it or not that is a solution to short battery life.   It makes  no difference if it does 15 photos, 150, or 1500 photos.  A spare battery extends your useful shooting time. You can argue it is a PITA to change batteries so often, it still remains a solution to the problem. 

"Like any Canon body, fps and AF performance take a hit once you go below 40-50% power remaining on the battery."

At the 50% battery drain level switch the battery. Geez, man you can buy a spare battery or two. Not brain surgery here.

That 70-200mm f2.8L lens is a good buy but not for an M series.

EB

"Geez, man you can buy a spare battery or two. Not brain surgery there."

I am not the argumentative one, Ernie.  You have a habit of misquoting what people say.  I simply correct you.

" I simply correct you."

Thank you so much. The world is a better place because of people like you!  Keep me on the straight and narrow. Don't know how I got along before you got here.

EB

Shawnie
Apprentice

Ok so I did get the EF 70-200mm F2.8L II Lens, but I also found a girl who had a Canon EOS 70D for sale for only $500 CAD ($390 USD). This seemed like a great deal and the pair are a much better fit and feel when shooting. I don't think you guys were wrong on the battery life thing, or the being a bit too top heavy. I think this will be a great start to practice with, and down the road my practice with it will prepare me more for the types of camera the lens should be used with. 

Announcements