cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF 24-70 L fails to autofocus at 70mm.

00derek
Contributor

Canon EF 24-70 L fails to autofocus at 70mm.

5D MkIV body.

Not the same problem as losing focus at different focal lengths, which is well documented here.

With the lens set to AF, lens will focus at all focal lengths until I turn to the maximum magnification...fully counter-clockwise. This is on a tripod without moving the camera relative to the subject. In other words, at 24mm autofocus beeps, but going to the max it will not autofocus, even if I move the body slightly to put different objects in the path of the AF points.

If I turn the zoom ring clockwise, just slightly below 70mm, then autofocus works again. I don't remember this being normal behavior.

I cleaned the lens and camera contacts, but no improvement. In fact it does the same thing on a T3i body.

Any thoughts? I can live with it now that I know the workaround, but is it a defect?

cheers

11 REPLIES 11

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" If its not, you can contact midwestcamera dot com."

They went out of business at the first of the year. Try phototronic.biz instead.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"How does one know if the lens is v1 or v2."

There is no v1 or v2. These are names, words, people come up with to try and distinguish between the models but can be confusing since they are not accurate. There is a Mk II (no Mk I) and its full name is Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens. The first model doesn't have the "II" in its name. The Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements