cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 50mm 1.8 STM stays extended

magyi98
Apprentice

Hi !

I bought a canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens for my DSLR Camera.

I saw today that the internal house is out, It stays extended when powered off.

I pushed It back manually (with my hand). I know, I can push back It with the focus ring but I did iI with hands. Does it do any damage in the mechanism or the AF ? 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

I have pushed the front element in by hand on my EF-S 24mm, EF 40mm, and EF 50mm STM lenses many times, and it does no damage.

Which camera do you have? Not all cameras have the "Retract lens on power off" function. I believe this function was added to all Canon cameras starting around 2015. ( M3, M5, M6, M50, T6i/750D, T7i/800D, T6s/760D, 77D, 5Ds, 5D Mk IV, 7D Mk II, 80D, 90D, etc)

If you have one of the newer cameras, you probably just need to enable the Custom Function. It is normally enabled by default, but you may have disabled it. 

This ONLY works with "STM" lenses (EF-S 24mm STM, EF 40mm STM , EF 50mm STM, etc.) that have "focus by wire", and a front element that extends during focus.

_001.jpg

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

I have pushed the front element in by hand on my EF-S 24mm, EF 40mm, and EF 50mm STM lenses many times, and it does no damage.

Which camera do you have? Not all cameras have the "Retract lens on power off" function. I believe this function was added to all Canon cameras starting around 2015. ( M3, M5, M6, M50, T6i/750D, T7i/800D, T6s/760D, 77D, 5Ds, 5D Mk IV, 7D Mk II, 80D, 90D, etc)

If you have one of the newer cameras, you probably just need to enable the Custom Function. It is normally enabled by default, but you may have disabled it. 

This ONLY works with "STM" lenses (EF-S 24mm STM, EF 40mm STM , EF 50mm STM, etc.) that have "focus by wire", and a front element that extends during focus.

_001.jpg

Mike Sowsun

magyi98
Apprentice
Dear @MikeSowsun !
Thanks your feedback. I use D2000 camera.
So this "hand push action" did not cause damage to the lens? I did it 3 times and accidentally pushing it back by hand. I'm glad I didn't ruin it. 🙂

3 times is no problem at all. 

Mike Sowsun

Mike,

Excellent info!

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements