cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 24-70mm Some Focus Points No Longer Focusing

Rmcrisafulli
Apprentice

I am having an issue with my canon 24-70mm lens. A couple of the focus points are not longer focusing. They attempt to when holding the shutter half way down but they are not focusing in. Lens is less than a year old. What can I do?

5 REPLIES 5

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

If it is less than a year old, it should be under warranty. I would contact Canon support 1-800-OK-CANON if you are in the US

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@Rmcrisafulli wrote:

I am having an issue with my canon 24-70mm lens. A couple of the focus points are not longer focusing. They attempt to when holding the shutter half way down but they are not focusing in. Lens is less than a year old. What can I do?

When you say "A couple of the focus points are not longer focusing." does that mean that some of the focus points are focusing?

If that is a correct interpretation, what focusing mode are you using?

Are the points you are trying to use to focus with on subjects with sufficient contrast for focusing?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes, I was attempting to focus on people, plenty of contrast. 
it’s the top center and bottom ones I’ve noticed an issue with. Auto focus but I select the point I would like my focus and that’s where it’s having a hard time focusing. It just goes in and out and doesn’t focus on anything 

Does it work with other focus points, like if you select the central one?

If so, can you take a photo with that point and post the image?

When you say "people, plenty of contrast" what part of the person is the focus point on? 

Do you have a problem using those focus points on a general landscape photo?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I am having an issue with my canon 24-70mm lens. A couple of the focus points are not longer focusing."

"If it is less than a year old, it should be under warranty."

Not so fast there on the warranty repair for the lens.

First, the lens has no focusing points.  The camera has them.  You are saying at some time all the focus points in the camera did work? You did not mention what camera you have.  I would try a different lens. Are the same focus points still not active?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements