cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 100MM f2.8 L IS USM Lens Loose or Elements Shifting Noise

llehmann
Enthusiast
I recently picked up my Cannon 100mm Macro lens and heard a strange noise coming from inside. Sounds like the elements of something has come loose. When you give it a light shake... something doesn't sound right? 

I Googled the problem and found this video which shows the exact sound I am hearing from my lens.
https://youtu.be/8E-4tUsoxoQ?t=41

Has anybody seen or heard of this? Does your lens sound like this? I never noticed the sound before?
Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Call Canon today 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Is this noise a common fix with the lens?

I have the lens, it doesn't make any sound at all when shaking it, you need to send it in to Canon  

It sounds as though there may be a loose screw or something similar inside. It may never cause a problem, or it may scratch a lens element the next time you use it. That's a good lens and worth fixing, as most "L" lenses are. Unless you're a qualified camera technician yourself, take the others' advice and have it looked at professionally.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Emory2350
Apprentice

@llehmann wrote:
I recently picked up my Cannon 100mm Macro lens and heard a strange noise coming from inside. Sounds like the elements of something has come loose. When you give it a light shake... something doesn't sound right? 

I Googled the problem and found this video which shows the exact sound I am hearing from my lens.

Has anybody seen or heard of this? Does your lens sound like this? I never noticed the sound before?
Thanks

I have lenses but i did not heard any kind of voice frome them.

Isaaydin
Contributor

After using my lens for 4 years it started to make that noise when i am shaking it. But not when plugged to camera or any errors when shooting. I guess thats the next step. Who knows where should i ship it to fix?

greggyp89
Contributor

I just picked up the lens brand new from Best buy and I am also hearing something shake inside. Sounds like something is loose 

Hello greggyp89,

The sound you hear doesn't of itself suggest a problem. It is normal to hear a slight rattle in lenses with image stabilization. Some are more noticeable than others. This is not a problem. You can minimize the rattle by placing the lens on the camera, powering the camera on and turning the IS off while the lens is mounted to the camera. Then power the camera off. This "parks" the IS system. 

Clawhammer
Apprentice

Hi, I have a the 100-400 is usm lens that has a very similar issue, noisy when slightly shaken when of camera and held vertical, i can see the inner lens components moving around, when connected to the camera and switched on the inner components do in fact "energise" and become centre, however when the camera is switched off the inner components "fall" to the side of the main lens body and "rattle" when slight movement is applied. Surely this cannot be right and will eventually damage the lens?? Does anyone else have a similar issue the this model of lens or is my lens faulty??

Announcements