cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera lens recommendation EOS Rebel T7

Akroasis
Contributor

Hello everyone, 

I have a Canon EOS Rebel T7 camera with a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens and I will be traveling to Japan in the fall and will be visiting Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, Hiroshima and Tokyo. I am looking for a versatile lens that can do a little bit of everything. Day and night photography, wide, portrait and up-close. I don't know a lot about camera lenses so I want to narrow down my search. 

I will be capturing both photo and video of the autumn season and will be spending my time out doors in nature, sight seeing temples, walking through narrow alley ways, and capturing night life.  My budget for a len(s) is $150-$600.  I would like to keep my lenses to three max or two. I appreciate any recommendations! Thank you 

9 REPLIES 9

deebatman316
Authority
Authority
  1. You currently own what is called a "standard zoom" lens. This lens will cover most of your needs. But there will be limitations with your lens & camera combo.
  2. For Macro work you'll need a macro lens which can focus closely on things.
  3. For night photography your lens aperture is too slow. Your lens has what is called a variable aperture. At 18mm wide open is F/3.5 and at 55mm wide open is F/5.6 which is slow for night photography. The smaller the F/ number the more light enters the lens.
  4. A wide angle lens for your camera would be 10-22mm or 10-18mm.
  5. Your camera uses what is called Canon EF & EF-S Mount lenses you have a DSLR camera. You can't attach or use EF-M, RF & RF-S lenses. There isn't an adapter that will make these lenses work. These lenses are designed for mirrorless cameras and are incompatible with DSLR cameras.

Since you're new to Canon's EOS System. Here are some abbreviations Canon uses on their lenses.

• EF: Electronic Focus: lens mount ALL EOS DSLRs & Film SLRs use (original EOS Mount)
  • EF-S: A separate lens Mount designed for APS-C DSLRs NOT compatible with Full Frame Digital, 35mm Film SLRs or APS-H DSLRs.
  • EF-M: Lens Mount for EOS-M series Mirrorless cameras. Incompatible with DSLRs or EOS Film SLRs.
  • RF: Lens Mount for EOS R series Mirrorless cameras. Incompatible with EOS DSLRs or EOS Film SLRs.
  • RF-S: Lens is optimized for EOS R series APS-C cameras. Can be used on EOS R series Full Frame cameras but image is cropped to the APS-C image circle. Note this is NOT a separate lens mount.
  • L: Canon's professional grade lenses only available in Full Frame lenses NO APS-C lenses.
  • DO: Diffractive Optics uses Fresnel lenses
  • I, II, III, IV, V:  Some lenses have multiple revisions such as the EF 28-80 F/3.5-5.6 V USM (ONLY lens to have a Version V)
  • Ring Type USM: AF motor type. Provides fast focusing stands for Ultrasonic Motor. Ring Type USM is the original USM AF motor. Shaped like a ring inside the lens. Allows Full Time Manual Focus either Focus by Wire or mechanical.
  • Micro Motor USM: Cheaper and slower AF Motor doesn't allow Full Time Manual Focus. Lens uses gears to adjust focus. EXCEPT for the EF 50mm F/1.4 USM lens (refer to Ring Type USM Mechanical Focus override). (1993-2016, replaced by Nano USM)
  • Nano USM: Combines STM and USM technology for fast AF. Allows Full Time Manual Focus is Focus by wire. (2016- Present)
  • STM: Stepper Motor for quiet AF. Allows Full Time Manual Focus which is Focus by Wire. (2012- Present)
  • AFD: Arc-Form Drive original EOS AF motor. No longer in use was replaced by Micro Motor in 1993 for new lens designs. No Full Time Manual Focus (Retired 1987-1992)
  • Micro Motor: Older least advanced AF motor slower AF used in cheaper lenses. No Full Time Manual Focus. (Retired, 1993-2012) Replaced by STM in 2012.
  • IS: Image Stabilization available in the lens.
  • IBIS: In Body Image Stabilization available in select EOS R Series cameras.
  • Macro: A macro lens with 1:1 magnification
  • Compact Macro: Lens is able to focus closer than a normal macro lens.
  • MP-E: Manual Focus only electronic aperture control no focus to infinity.
  • TS-E: Tilt Shift lens with electronic aperture control no Autofocus. 
  • Soft Focus: Lens is designed to provide creamy bokeh affect.
  • PZ: Power Zoom lens. Only 1 lens released with this feature. Only the EF 35-80mm F/4-5.6 PZ lens used this. 
  • TTL: Through The Lens Flash metering. Flash system relies on light reflected off the film. NOT compatible with EOS Digital cameras.
  • A-TTL: Advanced Through The Lens Flash metering system in EOS film bodies released in 1986. Replaced by E-TTL in 1995. System uses a pre-flash measured by a sensor on the speedlite itself. Not compatible with EOS Digital cameras. Uses EZ series speedlites
  • E-TTL Version 1: Evaluative Through The lens Flash metering system. System uses a pre-flash measured by the camera body to calculate flash exposure. System also relies on AF point selection too. Compatible with EX or EL series speedlites. Replaced by E-TTL II in 2004.
  • E-TTL II: Refer to E-TTL Version 1. System was released in 2004 and works similarly to the original E-TTL. But uses focus distance information from the lens. Via a distance encoder in the lens. E-TTL II doesn't rely on AF point selection. Note E-TTL II is IMPLEMENTED in the camera body NOT the speedlite.

Here is a lens compatibility chart below.

Lens compatibilty .pngLens Compatibilty PT. 2.png

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I would recommend the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5 to 5.6 to be able to you exactly what you currently have, but with extra telephoto (reach) capabilities.

That lens is right at $600 (new).  If you can stretch your budget a bit, I would recommend an EF 50mm f/1.8 which will do much better in lower light situations and on your Rebel T7, would make a decent portrait lens.   This 50mm runs around $125 (new).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Forgot to add... if you don't foresee needing the 18-135 beyond your trip, and if the cost wouldn't be too high, you could consider renting it.  The base cost for 15 days is around $40.  Though you'd have to check the additional costs for insurance, and check if there's any additional cost/restrictions for taking it to different countries.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thank you so much for your recommendations! I purchased the EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 10-18mm F/4.5-6.5 and EFS 24mm f/2.8 STM. I don't find the extra zoom to be useful for my needs at the moment.  These three lens plus my stock lens will be more than enough to cover a variety of styles.  

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I agree with Ricky's suggestion for the EF-S 18-135 lens, making sure you get the STM or USM versions.  Canon have this lens listed on their Refubished Lens site (currently out of stock, but you can select to get a heads-up when one is available.  They are great lenses: I have had both the STM and USM versions, and still retain the USM unit as a go-to general walk-around lens.  The USM is really silent for video work and super fast to focus.

Here is a link to the listing: Shop Canon Refurbished EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon U.S.A.,

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I would recommend the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5 to 5.6 ...  If you can stretch your budget a bit, (also the) EF 50mm f/1.8 which will do much better in lower light situations ..." 

Love this answer but I would not rent it nor would I rent any lens in this category.  Total cost for renting it will likely approach  a hundred bucks plus the hassle.  The EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5 to 5.6 is a wonderful lens and you may just think so too and decide to keep it. Other wise when you return sell it on to recoup some of the costs.

Both your current kit lens and even the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5 to 5 are very slow. This make the EF 50mm f1.8 a great choice when lighting goes south on you.

"...and on your Rebel T7, would make a decent portrait lens."

This is not necessary since both you current kit lens and the new EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5 to 5 cover 50mm. The 50mm will be for the low challenging light situations nothing else.

As a thought I would sell the kit lens now to buy the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5 to 5. If you really want to round out your bag check out the Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens. It and the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5 to 5 would be a great combo. But I am afraid I just blew the heck out of your budget! But how many times are you going to Japan?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I purchased the EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 10-18mm F/4.5-6.5 and EFS 24mm f/2.8 STM. I don't find the extra zoom on the EFS 18-135mm to be useful for my needs at the moment.  These three lens plus my stock lens will be more than enough to cover a variety of styles. I plan on going more than once! I am currently looking for work there!  🙂 

Regarding your statements:

"I am looking for a versatile lens that can do a little bit of everything. "   The whole point of the EF-S 18-135 lens, to allow that flexibility, to do a little bit of everything, especially when one may not want to carry around multiple lenses, which is common when one is not static in a specific domicile.  I am curious why you don't find that capability useful - it would help us to help you.

"I don't find the extra zoom on the EFS 18-135mm to be useful for my needs at the moment."  The statement AT THE MOMENT is significant - situations change when one is in different locations.   However, if you want an alternative, the EF-S 15-85 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, is highly flexible, but offers a critical wider angle and has less reach, which seems to be your preference.   It has been described as 'the secret L lens' for the quality of the optic.

Finally, if you want to spend more, the Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM is the fastest zoom lens in the Canon EF-S range.  It has a smaller focal range than the previous two, but has that constant f/2.8 aperture and great optics.  It is big, heavy but that is what you get when you want the optical performance, especially wider constant aperture.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I am looking for a versatile lens that can do a little bit of everything. Day and night photography, wide, portrait and up-close."

I assume by now you realize that isn't going to happen. There is no one lens does it all.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements