cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a lens - EOS Rebel T7 compatibility with Sigma lens

Icey_
Apprentice

Hey! I’m quite new to photography and bought a canon rebel T7. I wanted to buy a Sigma 150-600c for it but I’m not sure if it will work on it! Can someone let me know what adapter I should use or maybe an alternative lens with also a quick auto focus and a longer focal lenght? I’m into bird watching and landscape photography so I don’t know if it’s a good one to invest in. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... a quick auto focus and a longer focal lenght? I’m into bird watching and landscape photography ..."

As you probably have learned the big Siggy C for Canon EF will work on your T7 as long as you buy the Canon EF model. If you bought a T7 did you not get the standard kit lens with it? Yes, it is all you need for landscapes. Add the big Siggy and you have a nice combo. If you didn't buy the T7 with kit lens go buy one now.

Addressing focus speed or quick auto focus which can be a tough issue to grasp. There are several factors at play here and remember the camera focuses not the lens. So focus speed is greatly affected by the T7. A second factor is a lens like the Sigma 150-600mm super zoom has a lot of internal parts that are comparatively heavy compared to a smaller lens like the 17-55mm kit lens. Moving all that mass takes more time. And how you focus will effect the speed, too. I always suggest you use One shot mode and just the center focus point for birds. Confusing or cluttered backgrounds can effect the focus to the point of it not being able to focus at all.

The Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens for Canon EF, (<-- that is the exact model you need) will require a bit of a leaning curve to get the best from it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

The T7 will work with a Sigma 150-600c without an adapter as long as you get the version with the Canon EF mount. Being a 3rd party supplier, Sigma make the same lens for different brands of bodies such as Nikon and Sony.  So, as long as you get a version with an EF mount lens it will fit your T7 and be great for bird watching.

Landscape will normally use lenses with a far shorter focal length, so you would be looking at a different optic, and for general-purpose and landscape there are a couple of considerations:
Canon EF-S 15-85mm 1S USM is a great lens with more coverage at the wide end for use with landscapes and architecture.   
The Canon EF-S 17-55 IS USM, is a top-end zoom that has a wide f/2.8 constant aperture - excellent but heavy.
These two are no longer made, so you would need to look second-hand from somewhere like KEH(DOT)COM.
The EF-S 18-135 IS USM is another great lens.  It's a fairly common unit, being a kit lens on some of the more expensive DSLRs.
I have, or have owned all of these lenses, so I can speak from experience that they are good choices. 

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I have a T7 and bought the Sigma 150-600mm lens. I like it; good for those bird and wildlife shots.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... a quick auto focus and a longer focal lenght? I’m into bird watching and landscape photography ..."

As you probably have learned the big Siggy C for Canon EF will work on your T7 as long as you buy the Canon EF model. If you bought a T7 did you not get the standard kit lens with it? Yes, it is all you need for landscapes. Add the big Siggy and you have a nice combo. If you didn't buy the T7 with kit lens go buy one now.

Addressing focus speed or quick auto focus which can be a tough issue to grasp. There are several factors at play here and remember the camera focuses not the lens. So focus speed is greatly affected by the T7. A second factor is a lens like the Sigma 150-600mm super zoom has a lot of internal parts that are comparatively heavy compared to a smaller lens like the 17-55mm kit lens. Moving all that mass takes more time. And how you focus will effect the speed, too. I always suggest you use One shot mode and just the center focus point for birds. Confusing or cluttered backgrounds can effect the focus to the point of it not being able to focus at all.

The Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens for Canon EF, (<-- that is the exact model you need) will require a bit of a leaning curve to get the best from it.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Enough said about the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens for Canon EF, I feel like I should mention my own recommendation, if I were wanting this type lens today, I would buy for myself the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 for Canon EF. It is a better lens, period, but it is a bit more expensive and I feel it is worth it. I generally advise folks from my own experience sometimes a point that is lost by other posters.

Now don't get me wrong the Siggy is a great lens (I have one) and will serve you well. I only want to make sure you know there is a better option if you prefer.

EB
click here to view the gallery
Announcements