cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Budget Stretching: EOS R8 travel lens recommendations

gonilvo4
Apprentice

Im heading to japan very soon so I intend on investing into the R8 (second hand) while im there and getting one very versatile travel lense! Love shooting very framed detailed zoom but also the casual portrait if i want to. So far i've seeing alot about the 24-240 but im worried for the low light side of it maybe its not enough (I did choose the R8 to get a full frame sensor and possibly counter balance the less good lense). I am far from being a pro or pixel checker it's for me to mostly have fun taking cool pics but i dont want to sacrifice too much quality. In resume i'd like to get some opinion on weather the 24-240 is a more than appropriate lense or steer clear of it https://routerlogin.uno/ .

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

"very framed detailed zoom"

Can you explain what this means?

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Yes, a definition of the term.

Have fun and enjoy the scenery.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I want to hear the definition of this term also 🤣

But for lens recommendations....

RF 24-105 f4 or the RF 24-240 f4-6.3 are both nice. If you need better low light performance, you'll need to go RF 24-70 f2.8. 

And please don't buy a 2nd hand R8. 😳  

Grab a refurb directly from Canon.  😊

Refurbished EOS R8 Body (canon.com)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome:
For travel with a full-frame camera I definitely recommend the RF 24-240 lens with the R8, which has the same excellent sensor as the higher-end EOS R6II - so you can use higher ISO values if required.   I posted some images taken under extremely dimly lit conditions (thick fog actually) in mid-winter, using the R6, which has the earlier 20MP sensor:
Moody Morning the the R6 & RF 24-240 - Canon Community
On more favourable conditions, using the more demanding R5 that has lower dynamic range than the sensor in the R8:  Trying out the RF 24-240 on Wildlife with the R5 - Page 2 - Canon Community 

In my opinion the RF 24-240 lens is an excellent choice, the sensor on the R8 is great and the rest is up to you as a photographer to get tightly composed images. 

BTW, I agree with Rick that you should consider a refurb camera from Canon - they may be new (overstock), opened box but never used, display units or barely used but good as new and have a Canon warranty.  Cameras from overseas purchased used will be unlikely to get support.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements