cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best lens under $900 for a T3i need some suggestions

7T7
Apprentice

Have been using the kit lends for about 2 years and looking to upgrade. Just looking for the best all around/walk aroung lens. Would be using it for about 70% outdoor shots and 30% portraits. Really confused on what lens I should get. Would really appreachate  any suggestions Thank You!!!

11 REPLIES 11

cicopo
Elite

24-105 L IS is a very good lens & there are lots for sale by people who bought them with a body as a package hoping to sell the lens for a bit more than it cost in the package.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo wrote:

24-105 L IS is a very good lens & there are lots for sale by people who bought them with a body as a package hoping to sell the lens for a bit more than it cost in the package.

Yeah, but it's too long to be a good walkaround lens on a T3i. I have one, but I used it very little until recently, when I bought a 5D3. The 17-55mm f/2.8 is going for under $900 at B&H. I'd buy that. It's a bit heavy, but commendably sharp.

Full disclosure: I have the 17-55, and so does my wife. Hers is fine, but mine takes a +9 autofocus microadjustment on my 7D's. Since the T3i doesn't have autofocus microadjustment, you'll want to test it to make sure it doesn't front-focus. If it does, send it back until they send you one that doesn't.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

cale_kat
Mentor

+1 The 17-55 is even available in the attractive, used, section. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801084020-USE/canon_1242b002_ef_s_17_55mm_f_2_8_is.html

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I am going with cicopo and recommending the 24-105mm.  It is a little to big on the short end, yes, but you get more on the tele end.   55mm is just a little short in the tele range.  You give to get. Smiley Happy

Reasons:

It is the best buy in Canon lenses.  You can get brand new ones for $650 to $700.

It is an "L" lens and quality.

It will stay with you if you decide you want a better camera some day because it will work on any Canon body.

There is more to a lens than just any one spec.  You must consider the entire package and that make the 24-105mm f4 the best choice.  Especially if you can have just one lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I am going with cicopo and recommending the 24-105mm.  It is a little to big on the short end, yes, but you get more on the tele end.   55mm is just a little short in the tele range.  You give to get. Smiley Happy

Reasons:

It is the best buy in Canon lenses.  You can get brand new ones for $650 to $700.

It will stay with you if you decide you want a better camera some day because it will work on any Canon body.

There is more to a lens than just any one spec.  You must consider the entire package and that make the 24-105mm f4 the best choice.  Especially if you can have just one lens.

I've got both 17-50 and 24-105. The 24-105 is a great lens...on a full frame body. But the very reason it is so successful is because it covers the same (approx.) range on as a 17-55 on a crop sensor body.

"... because it covers the same (approx.) range on as a 17-55 on a crop sensor body."

I am going to break a rule of mine, again, and make an expection because this is so wrong.  Well, unless your definition of "approx." is vastly different than mine.  The 17-55 would be closer to 27-88 on a crop.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Reasons:

B&H wants $1149 for a new 24-105. I have to wonder where you saw it for $650 to $700. Are you maybe thinking of the old 24-70 or something similar? If I saw a 24-105 new for $700 or less, I'd be worried that it might be a counterfeit.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

They are not fake.  They are the real deal.  They are lenses removed from kits.  For instance the 5D Mk III kit comes with one but sometimes the buyer does not want that lens for whatever.  So, they sell it and get what they want and save money to boot. They come with exactly the same warranty as the normal Canon lenses do.  B&H and Adrorama has them from time to time.  There are several on Fred Miranda right now.  There is a couple on POTN, too.

EB

7T7
Apprentice

Thanks for the replies!!!!! I'm leaning more tourds the 24-105. And never knew there were counterfit lenses. But I saw this and see that its shipping from Hong Kong and the price seems really good, can this be a counterfit? ebay 24-105mm

Or would you sugest me getting it from a seller from New York for about $13 more?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-24-105-4-0-L-IS-USM-Lens-USA-Warranty-NEW-Special-SALE-Price-BUY-NOW-/...

Announcements