cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Canon lens for under $800 that have image stabilization

quick9
Apprentice

I have a Canon EOS 70D and am looking for a specific type of lens. The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon is the exact type of lens I want, but it has no image stabilization! I do lots of video and find that footage is shaky without stabilization. Do you have any recommendations, or do you think the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon would be okay even without DS?

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you shoot lots of video, you really would be better off with an actual video camera/recorder.  There are limits to do what you can do with a DSLR.  First and foremost among the limits is the issue of the image sensor overheating, and shutting down the camera until it sufficiently cools.

DSLRs mostly use CMOS sensors, which are best for high resolution in short bursts, like taking stills.  CMOS sensors can overheat quickly with extended use, like when shooting video.  Camcorders frequently use CCD sensors, which do NOT have as high of a resolution, but can withstand extended use without overheating, like when shooting video.

Back to your question:

I have not used that Sigma lens, so I cannot speak about it's image quality. 

If one were shooting stills with that Sigma lens, I would not think image stabilization would be particularly missed under most circumstances.  The lens is pretty fast, f/1.8, so you can use faster shutter speeds.  I shoot stills with a Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8L IS II USM, which lacks Image Stabilization, and I really don't miss it. 

Perhaps what you really need is a camera stabilizer, not a lens with image stabilization.  A stabilizer would work with your entire arsenal of lenses, and would only help to augment whatever lenses you own that do include IS.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Here's a highly related lens with IS:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-17-55mm-f-2.8-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

This is the lens for you Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens,  But like advised above the 70D isn't.  It is not a video camera.  It will never be one.  If video is your main most thing check into a real deal video camera. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements