cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempting to install RF mount lens on EOS Rebel T7

Marcos_G76
Apprentice

Hello, 

I have an EOS Rebel T7 camera and recently bought an RF100-400 f5.6-8 IS USM lens. I tried to install my camera lens to my camera and it doesn't work. I twisted it in multiple ways but to no avail. Did I buy an incompatible lens? Do I need to buy an adapter? If so, could someone send me the link? 

Thank you.

12 REPLIES 12

Tiffany

Welcome to the forum!

RF mount lenses are only compatible with the EOS R series camera lineup. There is no adapter that will allow you to use RF mount lenses on EF mount cameras. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Marcos_G76,

As Tiffany pointed out, The lens you've purchased is not compatible with your existing body.  Do you have plans to upgrade this body?  The RF100-400 is a nice lens and something you can look forward to using.  If not, maybe you can return it.  If you'd like to explore mirrorless options, tell us more about the type of photography you do, provide a budget and will be happy to make some recommendations.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hello.

I would like to stay with my Rebel T7 for now. I plan to photograph the upcoming solar eclipse. I would like some recommendations on lenses that can help me take good photos of the eclipse. I would like to know any lenses that have a good zoom. I am an amateur so sorry if I don't know much about cameras or photography.

What is your budget for a lens. Canon does have an EF 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens available.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Up to $500 give or take.

Your budget is not going to get a lens with that focal length. How long of a lens do you need. Do you need a max focal length of 400mm. Canon does offer the EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS II USM lens but is at your max budget. Or you could look into refurbished lenses.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

It's not possible to mount an RF Mount lens on an EF Mount camera. A lens compatibility chart is below to better assist you.

1000004105.png

1000004106.png

-Demetrius

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Since you want to photograph an eclipse (the sun) and no one has mentioned it, you will need more than a camera and lens to shoot the eclipse.  A filter is especially important since pointing your camera's sensor at the sun can damage it.  

I think @kvbarkley has a good amount of eclipse experience.  I think he uses a T6s for it.  Let me ping him.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I do use a T6S and use my Tamron 150-600 to take the image.

I think a 400mm is a little on the short side - the moon/sun image will be too small.

Anyway, the important thing is the filter. Without that you are limited to the short period of time the sun is completely hidden.

You might be able to rent something from Lens Rentals, but it is getting pretty close to the event and they may be out of long lenses.

This might help.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/Getting-prepared-for-the-eclipse/td-p...

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements