Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another 150-600mm Thread

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings Gents,

While I was recently considering picking up a 100mm 2.8L for Macro (shooting bugs), I decided that I'd much rather take some wildlife photography given the the time of year. Started researching and after 12 videos and a bunch of reading, I'm still on the fence as to which lens to buy. Have "peep-ed" too, but I know this isn't always absolute.

Considering the 150-600's Sigma C, S and Tamron G2.

The Sigma C is a $teal at 4.3lbs, 95mm, 4.1 x 10.2, Min focus 110.2 in
The Sigma S is a beast at 6.3lbs, 105mm, 4.8 x 11.4, Min focus 102.4 in
The Tamron G2 at 4.4lbs, 95mm, 4.27 x 10.4, Min focus 7.22 in

Then comes maximum reproduction ratios:
1:5
1:5
1:3.9

Not a macro lens and there's nothing wrong with 1:5, but the Tamron is closest to 1:1

Price
$989
$1799
$1399

Price is low on my list of consideration (at the moment) If the "S" is the bomb, I'd get it. It's weight is a bit discouraging though.

Sigma Contemporary Pro's:
-Attractive price, weight, length. Seems to be a lot of happy owners out there
-I own a Sigma Dock

-Previous positive experience with contemporary and art series lenses

Sigma Sport (Not sure if this is pro or con)
-Seems like you will need to tripod for this 100% of the time (con?)
-105mm beast. Longest, widest, heaviest lens
-May not be relaistic thinking I'd use handheld, but I saw plenty of vidoes where people were doing it and they got some nice shots
-Weather sealed

Tamron (pros)
-Cool zoom lock feature one-click focus ring
-Weather sealed

Tamron (Cons):
-I already have a Sigma USB Dock. Kills me that I'll have to buy a Tap-In for one lens.
-Reversed Zoom ring, I know I can get used to it, but **bleep**

My least favorite at the moment is the Sport model. Primarily because of weight. But my 24-70 is about 4.5lbs and feels like a feather to me. I would want to use the lens handheld sometimes and don't see myself shooting with a 6.3lbs lens free hand for extended periods. I do have steady hands however.

Was considering renting 1 or 2 of them as well. I've never owned a Tamron lens. Only Canon and Sigma.

If you own a Sigma C or S, I'd appreciate hearing about your experience.  Love it , hate it and why.

Bob, Hank, Wadizzle, Scott, TCampbell???

Ernie, I know you have the Tamron. Wanted to get your take as well.

I know I could have posted on DPReview..  but I haven't spent as much time there as I have here.  And honestly, I value the feedback I'd receive here more.

Thanks Men!

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Finally made up my mind.  I'm going to do the SigmaC with TC1401 for extra reach. 

Wadizzle, your mention of the complete AF re-write.  I missed this during my intial reseach.  v1.02 released May 2016 included the AF enhancements.  in Oct, they released v1.03 that incuded the mount converter compatibility enhancements I mentioned earlier (something I won't use).  The TC-1401 and lens are supported by my dock.  I'm going to go for the refurb "kit" directly from Sigma.

The sports model is very compelling, the IQ is impressive, but when I thought about how I would use the lens, the C made the most sense.  Ernie, I'm going with your UV filter recommendation.  The lens does have a crazy water and oil repellent coating, but I'll probably keep a filter on it for walking around in the bushes.  It's a long lens.

Next influencing characteristic was the customizations mode switch which can be programmed via the dock.  I won't use this initially, but it is something I see myself using in the future. So it's ordered and on the way. 

Thanks guys for the insight, recommendations and great help.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Wow, the Sigma C was selling for 20% less than that all last week.

I think the Sigma C is the slowest to focus of that trio, which is not as big of knock as it might sound.  Depending upon what you are shooting, the Sigma C can perform nearly as well as my EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM with the EF 1.4x III.

I do not have first hand experience with the Sigma S, nor the Tamron G2, but the Canon 100-400mm II is a fantastic lens.  It has super fast focusing.  I have a keeper rate that is over 80% with it, and that bad 20% is almost always my fault.  It is not as large as the 150-600s, and can fit in many bags still attached to the camera body, which is not the case the 150-600s.

Yes, the Canon 100-400mm has significant sticker shock, but I guarantee you that you will rarely have a bad shot with it that is the fault of the lens.  It has actually made me a better photographer.  Images are always very sharp.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzlewrote:

Wow, the Sigma C was selling for 20% less than that all last week.

I think the Sigma C is the slowest to focus of that trio, which is not as big of knock as it might sound.  Depending upon what you are shooting, the Sigma C can perform nearly as well as my EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM with the EF 1.4x III.

I do not have first hand experience with the Sigma S, nor the Tamron G2, but the Canon 100-400mm II is a fantastic lens.  It has super fast focusing.  I have a keeper rate that is over 80% with it, and that bad 20% is almost always my fault.  It is not as large as the 150-600s, and can fit in many bags still attached to the camera body, which is not the case the 150-600s.

Yes, the Canon 100-400mm has significant sticker shock, but I guarantee you that you will rarely have a bad shot with it that is the fault of the lens.  It has actually made me a better photographer.  Images are always very sharp.

Thanks.  Very good point about the overall length and more importantly that I use DPP and lose lens correction.  I do have to work a little harder in post processing when shooting with my sigma.  I knew this going in.  There are true benefits to sticking with Canon.  I've said it before and still believe it.  "L" glass too, once you own it you're hooked.  I know the Sigma has a lock switch as well...  just wondering how much better or different usng barrel ring unlock might be.  Cool feature.  Sort of unique.   

The Canon 100 2.8L increased by $100 for a few months.  Recently dropped back down to $799.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The Sigma C has a zoom lock, too.  It has a separate switch, which takes a little more time to release than the locking ring on the Tamron G2.  Which is better is a matter of preference.  Personally, I would call it draw, because users get acclimated to using one system or the other.

What photo processing software are you using?  If you are using Canon DPP, then you will not get the most out of a third party lens, which is the mean reason why I recommend people stick with Canon lenses.  I bought Lightroom just so that I could process RAW files shot with third party lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Durf
Apprentice

I've had the Sigma C for about 2 years now and have had quite a lot of fun with it. I've used it mostly on my 80D and its rather sharp throughout the focal range and auto focus is pretty accurate most of the time....I've had it hunt on me a few times but I was using one shot single focus point in low light when it did. Most of the time it just locks right on and you can shoot and shoot and shoot, especially in good light.

It is a big lens and for that reason I don't lug it around all the time and use it as much as I would like too.

What's truely amazing with it is the stabalizer. I think I've only had it on a tripod once or twice as it's amazingly easy to shoot  free handed with a great keeper rate once you get used to it. I've got many really sharp images with it shooting free handed at 600mm even when the lighting wasn't idea and using slower shutter speeds. It's quite a chunck of lens, well built, great optics, and well worth the bucks in my opinion. (You just missed the sale though) 

@Durfwrote:

I've had the Sigma C for about 2 years now and have had quite a lot of fun with it. I've used it mostly on my 80D and its rather sharp throughout the focal range and auto focus is pretty accurate most of the time....I've had it hunt on me a few times but I was using one shot single focus point in low light when it did. Most of the time it just locks right on and you can shoot and shoot and shoot, especially in good light.

It is a big lens and for that reason I don't lug it around all the time and use it as much as I would like too.

What's truely amazing with it is the stabalizer. I think I've only had it on a tripod once or twice as it's amazingly easy to shoot  free handed with a great keeper rate once you get used to it. I've got many really sharp images with it shooting free handed at 600mm even when the lighting wasn't idea and using slower shutter speeds. It's quite a chunck of lens, well built, great optics, and well worth the bucks in my opinion. (You just missed the sale though) 

Helpful feedback for sure.  One of the other thngs in the back of my mind is the Sigma C is about 2 yrs old.  The Tamron is a year or less I believe.  Saving grace is the USB dock of course.  Have read a lot of good things about Sigma's OS.  I have it on 2 of the lens I own and can attest to how well it works.

17-70 Contemporary APS-C (Used for 2 yrs.) No longer hve an APS-C body.

24-70 f2.8 v2 FF (got this in Sept of last year)

To Wadizzle's point, I may have to start using LR to get 3rd party lens correction.  It simply offers greater versatility.

Sales come and go.  Memorial Day is coming,  Cinco De Mayo, Mothers Day.  Stuff will go on sale again.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

My favorite lenses in this category are the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Lens and the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens.  I shoot both handheld.  They are nearly the same size and weight.  I guess it is what you get use to.  I shoot them on a 1 series, too, so that doesn't help with the weight.

You really need to get Lightroom and stop using DPP for your editing. After you get LR and learn it, you will understand why I say that.

Here is the big Siggy handheld. It can be done.  Smiley Wink

_DX_2341.jpg

_DX_2320.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Ernie, I know you have the Tamron. Wanted to get your take as well."

I have all of them !  Smiley Happy  I prefer the Sigma S but the Tamron G2 is probably the best for IQ.  At least until somebody else comes out with a new mdel.  I shoot the big S handheld all the time.  I don't recommend others do it without trying it first. And for an extended amount of time.  If I were you and, today, wanted the best of the bunch and it is slight I would by the Tamron G2.  However you really can't go wrong with any of them. They are so close.

EB

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I've used Adobe products in the past. They have their merits.  Like many here I dont believe or wish to support subscription based software. LR6 (disk) appears to be largely abandoned. You have to jump through hoops to get the de-haze feature and all I found was post after post of people who had difficulties getting v6.12 or > which is needed for.cr2 support on my 6D2.

Good software or not, it sounds like a PITA and that I'll be investing time to something that is unsustainable.  I have a copy of 5.5 I never installed.  I'm sure 6 is available to me as well. I know where to look.  But I stopped helping myself to others software.  After working in the industry, you gain respect for the hard work that goes into development.  I'm afraid adobe's business model would aggravate me.  They do not seem to be very concerned with retaining customers and I'm not going to "rent" it. I know their software is the industry standard (for now), but they are not the only act in town.  I want something more sustainable with some longevity without subscription.  DxO PhotoLab looks to be a better choice for me.  Can be installed on 3 machines, and supports all of lenses I'm considering and more.

Anyway I'm here to make a lens decision. I'll have to figure out what path I can take to get support for lens correction without perpetually renting or supporting a dying product. Am I wrong?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

OK, fine and the lens choice for me as of 4/25/2018 would be the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2.

However, I will make some points you may not be aware of.

"...their software is the industry standard (for now), but they are not the only act in town."  I have been in the business professionally for 40 years and now 16 years in retirement. Still active and working.  Adobe is the only game in town and will be for the foreseeable future.  Denying that will only hurt you not Adobe.  Check Adobe stock.  It has done nothing but go up so I doubt they are truly concerned about customers.

I feel for you.  I hate the rental structure as many folks do.  But several software companies are going that route.  Smiley Sad  Office for instance.  My current PS and LR support my gear so I am happy.  I hope you find one that satisfies your needs.

EB
Announcements