Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another 150-600mm Thread

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings Gents,

While I was recently considering picking up a 100mm 2.8L for Macro (shooting bugs), I decided that I'd much rather take some wildlife photography given the the time of year. Started researching and after 12 videos and a bunch of reading, I'm still on the fence as to which lens to buy. Have "peep-ed" too, but I know this isn't always absolute.

Considering the 150-600's Sigma C, S and Tamron G2.

The Sigma C is a $teal at 4.3lbs, 95mm, 4.1 x 10.2, Min focus 110.2 in
The Sigma S is a beast at 6.3lbs, 105mm, 4.8 x 11.4, Min focus 102.4 in
The Tamron G2 at 4.4lbs, 95mm, 4.27 x 10.4, Min focus 7.22 in

Then comes maximum reproduction ratios:
1:5
1:5
1:3.9

Not a macro lens and there's nothing wrong with 1:5, but the Tamron is closest to 1:1

Price
$989
$1799
$1399

Price is low on my list of consideration (at the moment) If the "S" is the bomb, I'd get it. It's weight is a bit discouraging though.

Sigma Contemporary Pro's:
-Attractive price, weight, length. Seems to be a lot of happy owners out there
-I own a Sigma Dock

-Previous positive experience with contemporary and art series lenses

Sigma Sport (Not sure if this is pro or con)
-Seems like you will need to tripod for this 100% of the time (con?)
-105mm beast. Longest, widest, heaviest lens
-May not be relaistic thinking I'd use handheld, but I saw plenty of vidoes where people were doing it and they got some nice shots
-Weather sealed

Tamron (pros)
-Cool zoom lock feature one-click focus ring
-Weather sealed

Tamron (Cons):
-I already have a Sigma USB Dock. Kills me that I'll have to buy a Tap-In for one lens.
-Reversed Zoom ring, I know I can get used to it, but **bleep**

My least favorite at the moment is the Sport model. Primarily because of weight. But my 24-70 is about 4.5lbs and feels like a feather to me. I would want to use the lens handheld sometimes and don't see myself shooting with a 6.3lbs lens free hand for extended periods. I do have steady hands however.

Was considering renting 1 or 2 of them as well. I've never owned a Tamron lens. Only Canon and Sigma.

If you own a Sigma C or S, I'd appreciate hearing about your experience.  Love it , hate it and why.

Bob, Hank, Wadizzle, Scott, TCampbell???

Ernie, I know you have the Tamron. Wanted to get your take as well.

I know I could have posted on DPReview..  but I haven't spent as much time there as I have here.  And honestly, I value the feedback I'd receive here more.

Thanks Men!

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Finally made up my mind.  I'm going to do the SigmaC with TC1401 for extra reach. 

Wadizzle, your mention of the complete AF re-write.  I missed this during my intial reseach.  v1.02 released May 2016 included the AF enhancements.  in Oct, they released v1.03 that incuded the mount converter compatibility enhancements I mentioned earlier (something I won't use).  The TC-1401 and lens are supported by my dock.  I'm going to go for the refurb "kit" directly from Sigma.

The sports model is very compelling, the IQ is impressive, but when I thought about how I would use the lens, the C made the most sense.  Ernie, I'm going with your UV filter recommendation.  The lens does have a crazy water and oil repellent coating, but I'll probably keep a filter on it for walking around in the bushes.  It's a long lens.

Next influencing characteristic was the customizations mode switch which can be programmed via the dock.  I won't use this initially, but it is something I see myself using in the future. So it's ordered and on the way. 

Thanks guys for the insight, recommendations and great help.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

Thanks Ernie and others...  appreciate everyone's feedback thus far.

This really says it all about LR (perpetual license)

Or you can go to a 2 step method via DNG

MAC / Windows All Perpetual License -  All of them

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

You can research the heck out of this but in the end there is one important veriable that never makes into the reviews & that's how it's used when not mounted on a sturdy tripod. If you're going to hand hold any of them for long periods you'll be the weak link in the IQ chain. I shoot the Sigma C & although it gets heavy after a few hours it still delivers sharp images at my radio control flying events which are very demanding re panning & IS (or OS VC etc) being at their best.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks cicopo,

Sigma C, I am starting to lean in that direction.  I have the dock, weight is reasonable, good IQ based on all the reviews I've read and watched.  Your recoimmendation too.  Zooms in the direction I'm accoustomed to as well..    

Many of the video reviews actually showed people shooting without a tripod.  Great results.  One guy was even shooting with a EF 600mm f4, and that dude is 8.4lbs.  That would be brutal though.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

I have posted this before but here's the story. A very good friend & fellow Canon shooter has an aerobatic plane with the signatures of the Snowbird pilots plus ISS Comander Chris Hadfield on 1 wing. I have tried to get a nice clean shot at a few events using my standard 1/500 setting for prop blur & done very well but 2 summers ago I decided to use a BIF setting & this is the result. The plane is flying left to right in a set of constant rolls. I tried to time my shots so I would have goos sun but not a reflection as it performed each roll. 1 is the full frame & the other is a tight crop after processing in CS6. Canon 1D4, Sigma 150-600 C at 468 mm, ISO 200, 1/2000 Hand held  (I turned the full frame shot so that both views are at the same angle

INGR8977v1.jpg

INGR8977v1.jpg

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I saw when you posted those images previously and enjoyed seeing the signatures on the left wing.  Quite a shot.  

So the SigC hasn't had a FW update since 2016, and it was mostly to improve compatibility with lens mount converters.  Also claims to quiet aperature lens blade noise during video.  I doubt I will shoot video with a lens of this FL. 

The Tamron G2 is on v1 FW.  No updates since it was released.  Did win best tele-photo zoom in 2017.  If that counts for anything.

B and H has the Tamron for $1299 after rebate.  I have another credit I can apply.  It includes a free Tap-In and B&W UV filter.  Lens is weather sealed and has newer flourine coatings. 

Sigma has a C refurb with 1.4x teleconverter for less than 1K, extra reach is enticing. 

Warranty is 6 yrs on Tamron, 90 days on Sig C Refurb.  Feeling like I am starting to over think this now.  Almost there.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

" Lens is weather sealed..."

Lens is 'slightly' weather sealed.  More splash resistant than anything.  It is not in the same category as a Canon 'weather' sealed lens.  It is, however, the best of the current crop.

"...B&W UV filter"

I am on and off again user of the use of a protective filter on these lenses.  I never use one on my Siggy S.  I do have filters for all the other 150-600mil zooms I have.  But they come off from time to time.  I don't know what B&H offered you but I would get the B+W 95mm Clear MRC 007M Filter for the big Tamron.

I do use and leave it on, the Tiffen 105mm Coarse Thread UV Protector Filter, on my Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@shadowsportswrote:

I saw when you posted those images previously and enjoyed seeing the signatures on the left wing.  Quite a shot.  

So the SigC hasn't had a FW update since 2016, and it was mostly to improve compatibility with lens mount converters.  Also claims to quiet aperature lens blade noise during video.  I doubt I will shoot video with a lens of this FL. 

I do not recall the date, but the most recent firmware update on the Sigma C that I know about completely rewrote the AF algorithms.  The update completely changed the lens.  Sigma claims that it focuses 40% faster, that it’s quieter, and the OS no longer gets into a tug-war with the autofocus.

I updated my lens, and I noticed that I could complete discard all of the AFMA adjustments I had made with the dock.  The lens  no longer has soft AF, above 500mm.  It is quieter, and faste.  I have begun to use it again.  After buying a 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, I had put my Sigma S into semi-retirement, pondering which son I should curse by giving it to him.

While it is not my choice for BIF, it is great for outdoor sports on a large field ... ... on a bright sunny day.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Finally made up my mind.  I'm going to do the SigmaC with TC1401 for extra reach. 

Wadizzle, your mention of the complete AF re-write.  I missed this during my intial reseach.  v1.02 released May 2016 included the AF enhancements.  in Oct, they released v1.03 that incuded the mount converter compatibility enhancements I mentioned earlier (something I won't use).  The TC-1401 and lens are supported by my dock.  I'm going to go for the refurb "kit" directly from Sigma.

The sports model is very compelling, the IQ is impressive, but when I thought about how I would use the lens, the C made the most sense.  Ernie, I'm going with your UV filter recommendation.  The lens does have a crazy water and oil repellent coating, but I'll probably keep a filter on it for walking around in the bushes.  It's a long lens.

Next influencing characteristic was the customizations mode switch which can be programmed via the dock.  I won't use this initially, but it is something I see myself using in the future. So it's ordered and on the way. 

Thanks guys for the insight, recommendations and great help.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

I think you'll be very happy with it, I love mine and it's a breeze to use and takes great images....

OK the hard part is over and now the fun begins.  Learn your new lens and make it your new friend.  Remember all that power and FL is going to have a learning curve.  Don't leave us and do show some photos.  Soon.........................

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements