cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon renewed lenses

jschl12
Apprentice

Will Canon service lenses purchased via non-authorized dealers?  See link below to Amazon "renewed" lens.  Amazon is an authorized retailer but 6Ave is not (if you look at link to the "renewed" lens you'll see it ships from 6Ave) so not sure even which is considered the "seller."  In any case, I'm not interested in Canon warranty, just that if something happens after the Amazon renewed 90 day warranty, Canon will not refuse to service the lens. Any insights, especially from Canon employees, is much appreciated.

1.JPG

[Commercial removed per forum guidelines and replaced with screenshot of destination to facilitate discussion.]

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I am not a Canon employee, but I have read in many sources that Canon will repair a Canon product for fee even if it was not purchased from an authorized Canon dealer.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Also an end user.  No canon staff will endorse buying from a non-authorized seller, dealer, shady shop, etc.

My one experience with Amazon renewed gear (not photography) and what I've observed has not been good.  Amazon renewed is you getting someone's junk.  Read their description of "renewed" closely.  It uses the word refurbished or restored loosely.   Amazon "Renewed" means a teenager has wiped the lens off and turned the focus ring left to right.  I'm serious, but you might get lucky.      

If you want to gamble, buy your photo gear renewed from Amazon, or from a shady 3rd party seller like 6AVE

shadowsports_0-1648607876532.pngshadowsports_1-1648607953393.pngshadowsports_2-1648608129364.png

shadowsports_0-1648610336183.png

They have a 5 star rating (1840) reviews on Amazon....  I wonder why the other sites say "crooks", "beware", "not as described", etc.   Canon will service it.  I hope it works out.  Good luck. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

They will if you pay for it from what I have heard but not experienced myself. Personally I would not buy from that store. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The word was “fee” not “free”. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Sorry there JH. Not enough coffee yet! I'll delete it. 😞

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"They have a 5 star rating (1840) reviews on Amazon.... "

It depends on who does the review and how many bad reviews get deleted. But it's your dime!

EB

jschl12
Apprentice

Thanks all for the input.  I think I'll skip this purchase from them.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I think you have answered your own question.  The vendor is not a Canon authorized dealer.  I would not shop there, no matter how attractive a deal might sound.  In fact, that would be all the more reason for me to keep it moving, and shop elsewhere.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements