cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on a great Landscape Lens for my (old) Rebel T1i

JamesHongKong
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I have a Canon Rebel T1i which has seen intermittent use over the years if I'm honest.

I now plan to focus on some landscape photography and I am totally confused by the lens options that would be best for this. My Rebel came with the standard 18-55mm lense and I have the nifty 50 too.

However, I cannot for the life of my figure out what would work best for landscape work - think wide rolling vistas, glaciers, mountains, beaches (I'm going to Iceland soon). I have read great things about the following: 15-85mm, 24-105mm, 10-22mm but understand I may end up with crossover with my current lenses and I really just want the best value, landscape recommondation you guys may have. Doesn't have to be brand Canon either necessarily.

Any help would be genuinely appreciated!

Many thanks

James

11 REPLIES 11

@JamesHongKong wrote:

Thank you for those suggestions - I think if I go for a lens it's going to be the 10-22mm. I'm going to see what I can achieve with what I have on my next trip with the aim to add a lens for the future after that. Perhaps I can report back with some photos once I'm back!

Thanks all

James

You're doing the prudent thing. After you've had more experience with your current equipment, you'll have a better idea of what you'll need to add or replace in order to take your photography to the next level. By understanding your requirements before you act, you'll avoid impulse purchases that may not contribute to meeting your goals.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@JamesHongKong wrote:

Many thanks for your replies - it seems I may be able to use the current equipment as a starting point and just try some different techniques and post processing to achieve good landscape results. I have Photoshop Elements and will look at Lightroom - thank you for the suggestions.

I am still considering a wide angle lens as I don't necessarily want all panoramas - it seems like the 10-22mm could be a good shout - I'll see if I can pick up a bargain here in Hong Kong. It looks like a grey import is around $460 US - not sure if that's good. The 10-18mm is about half the price - realistically, what difference could I expect to see between the two for the price would you say?

Appreciate all your help

James

The EF-S 10-18 IS STM has image stabilization and better image quality. The EF-S 10-22mm has better build quality (metal mount).

I would go with the EF-S 10-18 IS STM as any difference in build quality is made up by the fact that you can buy two for the price of one EF-S 10-22 and the EF-S 10-18 IS STM has the best image qualtiy of the two.

Announcements