cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for macro photos?

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

To start, this is the lens I have, bought with a Canon T7 kit: Canon Zoom Lens EFS 18-35mm, 1:3.5-5.6 IS II; Macro 0.25m/0.8ft.. I have a number of opportunities for macro photography including my wife's flowers around the house. Also, bugs, etc., are around if I can get them to stay still for a few seconds. How can I "cash in"  with quality photos, using the settings on the camera; the T7 has a Macro setting on the dial. Manual or other setting? The 1:3.5-5.6 comes into play, I'm sure; best way to use them? Thanks for your help.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
14 REPLIES 14

John, 

Being in the right place at the right time has its advantages!  Your $98 lens is proof of that and use it well.

I bought the 50MM f2.5 macro on eBay from a seller based in Japan for a very attractive price including shipping that enticed me to pull the string.  When it arrived, it looked to be in excellent condition and the glass is flawless.  While shooting, the lens started giving me Err 01 intermittently, but for the most part, it functioned properly and results were good.  Then Err 01 started occuring more and more often until it froze up for good.  The seller was kind enough to refund my total cost which quite frankly was above and beyond what he had to do and certainly was much appreciated.

Most of my gear except the camera, kit lens and EF 50mm 1.8 STM is either refurbished or used.  I’ve bought and use gear from KEH and Adorama and bought used/refurbished gear from B&H in the past and recommend all 3.  Others recommend MPB and usedphotopro.com as well.  However, I still do occasionally scan eBay, garage sales, thrift stores, etc. in hopes of finding an elusive bargain that is “just too good to pass up!”

Good hunting!

LZ

Found a couple of used lenses but in no hurry. March 411 has added another possibility to the list. Need to check finances and go from there. Thanks to all.

I'm amazed at the macro photos of insects, looking like something out of a B horror movie.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

March411
Rising Star

Tintype_18, if you are looking to buy used KEH and MPB are trusted resellers and normally have good on hand inventory.

And I'll throw one more lens into the mix. I use the EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM and have had good results. It has a ring light in the lens which is nice, the only down side is battery life. Here is an image captured with the 35mm

Darter.jpg

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!
Accuracy of statement is one of the first elements of truth; inaccuracy is a near kin to falsehood. - Tryon Edwards

90D ~ 5D Mk IV ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Personal Web Gallery

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

John, the first thing to keep in mind when getting a macro lens, or any lens for that matter but more important for macro, is that the minimum focusing distance (MFD) listed in the specs is from the sensor and not the end of the lens. This means if you have an MFD of 9 inches you have to take into account lens length and distance from flange to sensor, so you may end up being just 4 inches or less from the end of the lens to a skittish insect to get a true 1:1 macro shot. It also means you will be blocking light unless you are using a ring light, off-camera flash, or other moveable light source like a LED panel.

I have both the EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro and the EF-S 35mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro.

The EF 50mm has a 1:2 or half life size (0.5x) magnification. To get true 1:1 Canon sold an adapter, the "Canon LIFE-SIZE Converter", to get you to 1:1, but it creates limitations when attached by: increasing the lens focal length to 70mm, reducing the maximum aperture to f/3.5, and limiting the focal range. Without the adapter, It does well for larger flowers and subjects that are 1-2 inches in size. This lens was produced in 1987, and although it has really good IQ, that (IQ) doesn't kick in until f/4 and really peaks at f/5.6ish, so it's not that great at it's native f/2.5. My wife used this lens on her Canon 35mm film cameras in the 90's and early 2000's and I used it a bit on my Rebels until I bought the EF 100mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro. I will add that this lens is slow to focus and really doesn't perform well on a modern camera.

The EF-S 35mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro is a true macro, but you really have to get close to get 1:1, which is 0.43 feet from the sensor, add lens and flange to sensor distance and you are really close to the end of the lens. The built-in ring light is only effective to about 6 inches from the end of the barrel, which is adequate for 1:1 macro and fairly small stationary insects but will take you out of 1:1. My wife bought this lens for her T7i and I have used it (and still do on occasion) on my 7D mark II with fair results, but I only use it on the 7D II for the built-in ring light when I don't have available light for my 100mm which is usually a unique situation, think spider or moth in the house at night 🙂 On its own as an all around lens (excluding macro), it is a nice lens with good IQ and seems to be sharp wide open, renders colors nicely, and has low distortion. But as with most entry lenses, it does get better as you stop down.

Just a reminder, true 1:1 or smaller macro lenses are designed differently to account for various distortions caused by shooting really close and is the reason they are usually expensive. Sorry for the long winded post, but I am very passionate about macro and come from an era where the lens made the macro and not post editing software. As I've said in other posts, you can make macro photos using just about any camera/lens combo in post, sort of, and I say that in reference to EB's comments, particularly "reproduction ratio". I know I've left a ton of crap out, but it's hard to remember it all when it's basically muscle or brain memory, if that makes sense 🙂

Newton

March411
Rising Star

To EB's point, sometimes the lens you have in your hand can help you achieve your goal. This morning, RF 100-500mm mounted on my R5, MFD 3/4 feet depending on the zoom level. The flowers are about the size of a US dime. Although this lens is going to cost a bit more then the others mentioned....😉

Morning Dew.jpg

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!
Accuracy of statement is one of the first elements of truth; inaccuracy is a near kin to falsehood. - Tryon Edwards

90D ~ 5D Mk IV ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Personal Web Gallery
Announcements