cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70-200 f2.8 IS III lens compatibility

sburch
Apprentice

I have a canon rebel t7i camera body. I want to purchase the new 70-200 f2.8 lens. Is it compatible with my camera body and will the pics be great even though it is not a full frame camera?

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Yes, that lens is fully compatible with your Rebel. It exceeds the capability of your camera. Depending on what current lens you have the image quality will be equal or better. Whether or not you get great photos depends on you.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Ha!  Good pictures for me is questionable as I am new and learning but I’m going to give this lens a try. Thanks so much for your help!

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Just to double-check, are you speaking to the EF version of the lens (assuming so since you mention version III)?  The RF 70-200 f/2.8 would not work with your camera.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Yes, EF version. So this one would work?

Yes, your camera can work with both EF and EF-S lenses.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The EF 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses are pretty heavy and beefy lenses for Rebel body, most of which are not reinforced with some type of alloy chassis.  Always keep the lens supported, and never allow the full weight of it to hang from from the camera mount.

As others have pointed out, the lens should work very well with your T7i.  The image quality should be a significant improvement over any kit lenses that came with the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Always keep the lens supported, and never allow the full weight of it to hang from from the camera mount."

This is extremely important. It is a good idea on any camera but especially so on a Rebel.

"... will the pics be great even though it is not a full frame camera?"

Such a disappointing subject. Just keep in mind your Rebel is as full frame as any camera on the market.  The fact is  you get exactly what you see in the viewfinder. Full frame.  Just like any camera model out there! Enjoy your new lens. It is the best zoom lens ever made perhaps one of the best lenses ever made, zoom or prime.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements