cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70-200 2.8 L IS II blurry at 200mm

MBURK_GVL
Contributor

I have an issue for some time now where images I shoot at 200 mm at 2.8, 4, and to some degree 5.6 are blurry. They are not out of focus, but the images have a soft, blurry quality to them. I suspect the only way to resolve this is to send the lens in for repair, but was wondering if anyone else had similar issues and has a diagnosis. I have attached a sample image. Thanks

Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 1.31.41 PM.png

14 REPLIES 14

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

What focus points are you using?

Does this happen if you set the camera to P mode and One Shot AF?

What if you switch off Image Stabilization?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"They are not out of focus, ..."

Yes, it is. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You deleted all the EXIF data so I can't tell much about your settings but the side bar indicates you used Ai-servo.  Turn it off for a shot like that.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

That is a screenshot, not a sample image.  But, at least we can see the EXIF data ... and then some.  Does that say you are zoomed in 1:1, or 100%?  Have you been pixel peeping?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

MBURK_GVL
Contributor
ebriggs1 - It is difficult even for me when looking at the image on my LCD screen or computer screen to tell whether the image is in focus or not, but when comparing the image to others that have truly been out of focus, I can assure you this particular image is not out of focus. A series of several images of this moment all exhibit the same characteristics. And I’d have to counter that in this particular situation where a subject is walking towards me, which he was, AI-Servo really is the appropriate AF setting.

@MBURK_GVL wrote:
ebriggs1 - It is difficult even for me when looking at the image on my LCD screen or computer screen to tell whether the image is in focus or not, but when comparing the image to others that have truly been out of focus, I can assure you this particular image is not out of focus. A series of several images of this moment all exhibit the same characteristics. And I’d have to counter that in this particular situation where a subject is walking towards me, which he was, AI-Servo really is the appropriate AF setting.

What shutter speed were you using? When an entire picture is blurry but not OOF, it's usually because of camera movement.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
If you are using AI SERVO are you placing the focus point on the subject and pressing the shutter button half way for about ½ second before pressing fully.

If an image isn’t sharp you basically have two choices - motion blur caused by too slow a shutter speed or out of focus. Do you have any other possibilities you can think of?

Looking at the image there is no evidence of motion blur, supported by the 1/800 shutter speed. So, if the image isn’t sharp it must be out of focus.

I know you can’t reproduce this image, but can you try similar images at 150mm and 200mm?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

What is really confounding is that there are some situations where the images are perfectly sharp. Here are three screenshots, zoomed in, showing three different apertures. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 6.18.53 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 6.18.30 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 6.19.04 PM.jpg

@MBURK_GVL wrote:

What is really confounding is that there are some situations where the images are perfectly sharp. Here are three screenshots, zoomed in, showing three different apertures. 

Screenshots are not really helpful in evaluating the IQ of images.  

I see that you are using AI Servo focusing.  Which AF point(s) are you using?  

What drive mode are you using, One Shot or Continuous?  If you are using Continuous Drive, then what are your 1st and 2nd Image priority settings?  This last is crucial, because they control whether or not the camera can fire the shutter before it can lock focus.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements