cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70-200 2.8 - Focusing Issue

sarahr_7
Enthusiast

Hi all - 

I have been having some issues with this lens (70-200 2.8 IS ii). These examples were shot at f/ 2.8 and when you zoom in, you can see that really there is nothing in focus. It appears like a total lack of focal plane. I use back button auto focus + single point and focus on the eyes. 

Here is the original photo

Camera: Canon 70d 

Settings

• Manual Mode
  • ISO: 250
  • 182mm
  • f/3.2
  • 1/5000s

Focus

• one shot 
  • center focus point

Distance

• Probably about 10-15 away 
  • I switched between 1.2-infinity and 2.5-infinity but both gave me the same results

When I use live view, I am able to get a crisp photo. I just wish I could get the same resutls with the viewfinder. (When I look the viewfinder, the photo looks sharp, but when I look at it - it comes out like this). 

Any tips or advice for shooting with this lens and nailing focus would be greatly appreciated!

P.S: The lens has been calibrated (at home) and the photos still come out like this:

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 12.04.18 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-13 at 12.04.18 PM.pngIMG_4981.JPGIMG_4982.JPGIMG_7559.JPGScreen Shot 2021-04-13 at 12.10.00 PM.png

And this is with Live View: 

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 12.16.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-13 at 12.17.09 PM.png

12 REPLIES 12

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
https://cdn.static-bl.com/images/manual/Canon-AF-Micro-Adjust-Guide.pdf
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"P.S: The lens has been calibrated (at home) and the photos still come out like this:"

This is almost assuredly the issue.  People misuse this feature all the time.  Set it back to zero. Now reset the 70D to factory. Menus, tools, clear all settings and clear all custom settings.  Now set the 70D to "P" mode. Set ISO to 200 and daylight WB. Use One shot and do not use BBF or Ai-servo. Do use just the center focus point.  Now tale some random shots out side on a nice sunny day.  Make sure there are some vertical lines in you test sample shots like trees or a fence or buildings, etc.

If it works, it works and you set or set something incorrectly. If you still get OOF shots call Canon.1 (800) 652-2666 Set up a  C&C for the lens.

BTW, you always shoot Raw?  Not absolutely necessary for this test but it is in your normal work. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"P.S: The lens has been calibrated (at home) and the photos still come out like this:"

This is almost assuredly the issue.  People misuse this feature all the time.  Set it back to zero. Now reset the 70D to factory. Menus, tools, clear all settings and clear all custom settings.  Now set the 70D to "P" mode. Set ISO to 200 and daylight WB. Use One shot and do not use BBF or Ai-servo. Do use just the center focus point.  Now tale some random shots out side on a nice sunny day.  Make sure there are some vertical lines in you test sample shots like trees or a fence or buildings, etc.

If it works, it works and you set or set something incorrectly. If you still get OOF shots call Canon.1 (800) 652-2666 Set up a  C&C for the lens.

BTW, you always shoot Raw?  Not absolutely necessary for this test but it is in your normal work. Smiley Happy

Okay - will do! Thank you! 

And yes, always shooting in RAW 🙂 

Announcements