cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50mm 1.8 stm lens not focusing

Shalolo
Apprentice
I just recently purchase a new 50mm 1.8 lens on eBay for my canon T3i, the kit lens that comes with my camera works perfectly fine but the 50mm refuses to connect with the camera so I can't focus on AF and MF, all I see is a zoomed in blue background, I don't know if there's some settings on my camera I need to change or the problem is with the lens it self?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If the kit lens focuses, and the 50mm does not, and it is in auto mode, the lens is broken. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If the kit lens focuses, and the 50mm does not, and it is in auto mode, the lens is broken. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Either return it ASAP or contact ebay.   It was advertised as working?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Shalolo
Apprentice
Yes it was

@Shalolo wrote:
Yes it was

Yeah, return it for a full refund.  Settle for nothing less than a full refund.  

Normally, I would disinclined to buy any used gear without being to first hold it in my hands so I can test it.  Your experience with eBay is the textbook example of why.  Sure, you can probably get a refund.  But, who wants the hassle, and who pays for the extra shipping to return it?

There are a couple of reputable online retailers that sell used Canon gear.  AFAIK, they do not appear on either eBay or Amazon.  They offer limited warranties, for up to 30 days.  Sometimes, yoiu can find excellent deals on the exact itme you want.  Never settle for your second choice.

The best place to buy "used" gear is the Refurbished Section of teh Canon Online Store.  They gear is not necessarily used.  My guess is that you see some custommer returns.  But, all gear is fully tested and guaranteed for one year.  Items come and go, in and out of stock.  Due to the holiday volume, the most popular items are "out of stock".  Be patent, and they will be back in less than a month, for at least some items, like your 50mm lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Shalolo
Apprentice
Yeah I totally agree, it's a lesson learned and thanks !
Announcements