cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50mm 1.8 ii repair cost

AJB3000
Contributor

The other day, I drop my 50mm 1.8 ii lens and it broke. The lens itself still works but I'm not able to get it to focus. So I need to know if it is fixable and how much it would cost roughly. I've included a picture for reference 

1000008027.jpg

25 REPLIES 25

Hey Stephen, I'm simply curious after seeing the shipped date of 1990 on the oldest version of the lens that you just posted.  How long did Canon sell these as new?  Seems my wife and I each bought this exact version (yes, we each have one) back in 2011.  What a great little lens, and even more surprising based on the low cost!

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

That lens was sold from 1990-2015 that's when the STM version replaced it. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thanks, Demetrius!  That little lens sure had a good long run. 

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

Since canon repair is not an option, why not try to disassemble and see if you can realign the parts if you feel comfortable with doing it.  Honestly I'd try fixing it myself as the lens is unusable as it is, assuming it's not hiding any broken bits inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15tUQhVMScc

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

I would still try your local Canon repair service as the lens was in production not that long ago. If Canon won’t repair it, a good camera repair shop should be able to repair it as there are some parts still available for it. You could buy another lens and use it for parts if the parts you need were not available. There are even some retailers selling new “old stock” EF 50mm f/1.8 II lenses. 

Mike Sowsun

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I suspect the OP has long gone!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements