cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24mm 1.8 IS RF vs 24mm 1.4 Sigma Art EF

EverleighPresle
Apprentice

Hello - I'm currently using an R5 and in need of a (relatively) wide prime, mainly for video in low light situations. Canonrumors predicts a 24MM 1.8 IS coming out this year - currently I'm assuming that's true, and I'm having a hard time deciding between it and the existing Sigma 24MM F 1.4 Art.

Both the IS of the canon and the slightly wider aperture of the Sigma are appealing to me, and I'm honestly not sure which is more important to me yet.

I realize It's hard to compare a lens with another that hasn't been released yet, but in general how does the image quality of the non-L Canon lenses compare with that of the Sigma Art lenses? Is it reasonable to expect the native RF mount canon lens to make the image quality substantially better than the Sigma?

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I have never used that particular Sigma lens but a Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art is the ONLY non-Canon lens I currently own and it is a wonderful lens.  I have quite a few Canon L series lenses including 4 of the fast "great white primes" from 200 to 800mm, several medium primes and a pair of macro primes, and their f2.8 zoom twins.  The Sigma replaced a Canon 50mm f1.4 and that replacement was a good decision.

Prior to buying the Sigma 50 f1.4 Art my impression of Sigma was when I was still shooting film, a lower cost lower quality alternative to Canon.  At this point, my preference in most cases is still Canon glass but the Art lens changed my view of Sigma.  I would take the 1.4 Art over a 1.8 with IS AND your R5 has in body stabilization so you will still have access to IBIS which isn't needed as often with a wide angle lens anyway.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I don't have nor ever used either lens but I do have/had the Sigma Art trio, 35mm, 50mm and 85mm f1.4.  They are with out question the sharpest lenses made in these FLs. However, my main most thing is to buy Canon if possible. And, now that you have switched formats to mirrorless, I suggest  you buy R lenses, exclusively. The IQ difference, if any, in real actual use will not be noticeable, IMHO. This is generally the arena of pixel peepers.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I own a few Sigma EF lenses now and have not been unhappy.   You'll have to weigh the pros and cons of each.  Your needs, owning now or waiting.  

Video shooting:

(I think this is correct) R5 - In body IBIS continues to work in a degraded mode when used with non-IS EF lenses.  How much depends on the 3rd party lens.  I have no idea what the degree of effectiveness might be.  How steady you can hold your camera handheld might also influence your decision.  (If I'm wrong about this, I'm sure someone can correct me)  

Sigma vs. Canon:

I chose the Sigma 24~70 over Canon because it had IS.  Its also .5 lbs heavier, but I use this lens for video occasionally and am glad now after years of use that I went with it. 

Aperture:

Aperture f1.8 vs f1.4..  not a huge difference, you'll get buttery soft backgrounds with either.  Night shots will be the same, plenty of light available.  If you plan to use this focal length primarily for video, waiting for their RF with IS is a good choice.  Like Ernie said Canon with Canon is always the way to go.      

If you can wait for RF, do that.  If you cannot, then the 24mm f1.4A is a excellent choice.  It has proven itself over time.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

" If you cannot, then the 24mm f1.4A is a excellent choice."

Man, I agree totally. That bunch of Sigma Art lenses is fantastic.  I suspect Sigma will port them over to R mount soon.  EF mount is dead and that is why I now advise folks go R if they have a mirrorless camera.  It is the future, no denying it.

EB

"... in general how does the image quality of the non-L Canon lenses compare with that of the Sigma Art lenses?"

I would go so far to say the Sigma trinity of Art lenses, 35mm f1.4, 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.4, are sharper than any other lens of any brand made.  When comparing the same FLs of course. I have never owned or used the 24mm f1.4 Art so judgement withheld. However, that said sharpness i snot the only consideration. For instance the only Sigma Art lens I currently own and use is the 35mm f1.4 sold the others. I much prefer the Canon 50mm f1.2L and 85mm f1.2L lenses.  These are fantastic lenses, unique lenses, and as far as I am concerned multiple times better than the Art offerings.

If you are hung up on sharpness as the only and go to standard of judgement of a lens you are missing a huge part of photography.

EB

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@EverleighPresle wrote:

I realize It's hard to compare a lens with another that hasn't been released yet, but in general how does the image quality of the non-L Canon lenses compare with that of the Sigma Art lenses? Is it reasonable to expect the native RF mount canon lens to make the image quality substantially better than the Sigma?

Thanks in advance.

If you were talking about the EF mount, then the easy answer would the Sigma Art lenses are better than the non-L Canon lenses.  I think all bets are off with the RF mount, though.  I definitely recommend going with the Canon glass on the RF mount.

Just because a lens is good for photography does not necessarily make it a good lens for videography. I am NOT saying the Sigma lens is not a good lens for videography.  Most issues are aperture related.  Some lenses have loud apertures, which the mirror slap of a DSLR will mask, but will reveal itself with a Dual Pixel AF sensor in Movie Servo AF mode.  

Some photo lenses have apertures that will not smoothly adjust from one aperture setting to another.  Instead, they will want to "snap" to the next aperture setting, which initiates the action of a clickable aperture ring.  Most videographers prefer laving a lens with a "de-clicked" aperture focus for smoother fades.  This behavior is what sets Canon's STM zooms apart from previoious lenses.

As far as the Sigma Art Primes go, I have a 35mm and a 50mm.  Neither one of the is compatible with Dual Pixel AF setting that allows you to adjust the Movie Servo AF speed.  This setting controls how quickly the camera will rack focus from one subject to another.  The lack of control will mean the camera will always snap AF from one to subject to another.  For some people, this is perfectly acceptable behavior.

The Canon RF mount lenses and Canon STM zoom lenses are fully compatible with all features associated with shooting video with Dual Pixel AF sensor body camera.  Canon states that lenses manufactured and released prior to 2009 are NOT fully compatible with Movie Servo AF speed, either.  My EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM is not compatible.  I have two third party lenses, both Sigma, and neither is compatible.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

These screenshots were made with a 6D2.  

The first screen shot was made with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

E039D321-3671-439A-8F73-1C1D21459D74.jpeg

The second screen shot was made with the Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4.

A0516746-D20A-4727-BB89-968733889CCF.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements